We provide around 15,900 public payphones throughout Australia to meet the needs of people who are out and about.
We have a universal service obligation to ensure that payphones are reasonably accessible to all people in Australia, no matter where they live or conduct business. We supply, install and maintain our payphones in Australia. We allow for public consultation on the location of payphones and try to resolve any complaints.
We will consult with the general public where we're proposing to either install a new payphone or to remove an existing payphone.
Information regarding current proposals may be accessed by opening the documents attached below. Where no documents are attached under either of the proposal types, that means there are no current proposals.
Payphone removal proposal notifications
- Inside Shopping Centre, 10 Craigieburn Road, Craigieburn, VIC 3064
- Inside Caboolture Railway Station, 11 Matthew Terrace, Caboolture QLD 4510
- Inside Goodna Railway Station, 22 Ryan Street, Goodna, QLD 4300
- Inside Robina Railway Station, Upper Level, 2 Robina Station Road, Robina, QLD 4226
- Inside Helensvale Railway Station, 2 Town Centre Drive, Helensvale, QLD 4212
- Inside Nerang Railway Station, 92 Nerang Broadbeach Road, Nerang, QLD 4211
- Outside Sandgate Railway Station, 3 Knox Street, Sandgate, QLD 4017
- Inside Roma Street Railway Station, Platform 8, 171 Roma Street, Brisbane, QLD 4000
- Outside Croydon Railway Station, 7 Wicklow Avenue, Croydon, VIC 3136
- Inside Flagstaff Railway Station, 440 La Trobe Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
- Outside Kensington Railway Station, 205 Bellair Street, Kensington, VIC 3031
- Outside Lilydale Railway Station, 111 Main Street, Lilydale, VIC 3140
- Inside Melbourne Central Railway Station, Platforms 1 and 3, 373 Swanston Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
- Inside Parliament Railway Station, 87 Spring Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
- Inside South Yarra Railway Station, 165 Toorak Road, South Yarra, VIC 3141
- Forecourt Sunshine Railway Station, 64 Station Place, Sunshine, VIC 3020
- Outside Flinders Street Railway Station, 207 Flinders Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
Payphone relocation proposal notifications
- Outside Sage Café, 414 Albany Highway, Victoria Park, WA 6100 (08936206X2)
- Outside 2 King George Street, Victoria Park, WA 6100
- Outside 198 Marine Parade, Maroubra, NSW 2035
- Outside 1599 Anzac Parade, La Perouse, NSW 2036
- Outside 2 Dane Street, East Victoria Park, WA 6101
- Outside Sage Café, 414 Albany Highway, Victoria Park, WA 6100 (08936200X2)
- Outside Car Park, 2 Wallace Street, Kingsford, NSW 2032
- Outside the Optus Shop, 115 Jetty Road, Glenelg, SA 5045
- Outside Shop, 162 Richmond Road, Marleston, SA 5033
- Inside Visitors Information Booth, Bolton's Green Campsite, 840 Cockle Creek Road, Recherche, TAS 7109
- Outside 169 Clovelly Road, Randwick, NSW 2031
- Outside 103 Brook Street, Coogee, NSW 2034
- Outside 13 Ascot Street, Kensington, NSW 2033
- Outside 98 Tapleys Hill Road near Kibby Avenue, Glenelg North, SA 5045
- Outside 130 Anzac Highway, Glandore, SA 5037
- Outside 240 Flinders Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
Payphone installations proposal notifications
The following process and timeframes will apply where Telstra has made a final decision about the proposed installation or removal of a payphone:
If you disagree with Telstra's decision, you must lodge a complaint with Telstra about that decision within 20 working days from the date when Telstra provided its written notification of the final decision.
We will provide an acknowledgement and a complaint reference number within 5 working days of receiving the complaint.
Telstra will provide a response, in writing, to the complaint within 20 working days of receiving the complaint.
If the complaint is in relation to a decision to remove a payphone, then it must relate to a decision where the removal would result in no other payphone remaining at that location.
If you are dissatisfied with Telstra's response to the complaint in relation to a final decision regarding a payphone removal proposal, you may lodge an objection with the ACMA within 10 working days from when Telstra provides its written response to that complaint.
Complaints may be made by:
Telstra Payphone Siting Manager
Locked Bag 4850, Melbourne Vic 3001
Phone during business hours:
Payphone enquiry line
1800 011 433, Option 2 (free call from fixed phones)
For information about making an enquiry or lodging a complaint in a language other than English, please visit our Multicultural services.