We provide around 16,800 public payphones throughout Australia to meet the needs of people who are out and about.
We have a universal service obligation to ensure that payphones are reasonably accessible to all people in Australia, no matter where they live or conduct business. We supply, install and maintain our payphones in Australia. We allow for public consultation on the location of payphones and try to resolve any complaints.
We will consult with the general public where we're proposing to either install a new payphone or to remove an existing payphone.
Information regarding current proposals may be accessed by opening the documents attached below. Where no documents are attached under either of the proposal types, that means there are no current proposals.
Public consultation documents
Payphone removal proposal notifications
- Corner of 17 Carnarvon Street and Short Street, Broome, WA 6725
- Outside 57 James Street, Perth, WA 6000
- Outside Northbourne Flats, 138 Northbourne Avenue, Braddon, ACT 2612
- Outside 272 Myall Street, Dubbo, NSW
- Outside the Telephone Exchange, 100 Macquarie Street, Dubbo, NSW 2830
- Outside 320 Flinders Street, Townsville City, QLD 4810
- Outside 221 Ingham Road, Garbutt, QLD 4814
- Outside Woree Tavern, 634 Bruce Highway, Woree, QLD 4868
- Outside Showground Shopping Centre, 157 Mulgrave Road, Bungalow, QLD 4870
- Outside North Sheridan Centre, 361 Sheridan Street, Cairns North, QLD 4870
- Outside 85 John Street, Salisbury, SA 5108
- Outside Lyall McEwin Hospital, 130 Haydown Road, Elizabeth Vale, SA 5112
- Outside Post Office, 50 Commercial Street, Port Augusta, SA 5700
- Outside 19 Evans Avenue, Eastlakes, NSW 2018
- Outside 1 Metropolitan Road near Enmore Road, Enmore NSW 2042
- Outside Petrol Station, Freda Street corner of 184 Widford Street, Broadmeadows, VIC 3047
- Outside 18 Cooper Street, Redfern, NSW 2016
- Outside 760 Elizabeth Street, Waterloo, NSW 2017
- Outside 205 Maroubra Road, Maroubra, NSW 2035
- Outside 13 Hercules Street, Ashfield, NSW 2131
- Outside 208 Lords Place corner Summer Street, Orange, NSW 2800
- Outside 88 Hemming Street, Dandenong, VIC 3175
- Outside 30 Weller Street, Dandenong, VIC 3175
Payphone relocation proposal notifications
Payphone installations proposal notifications
The following process and timeframes will apply where Telstra has made a final decision about the proposed installation or removal of a payphone:
If you disagree with Telstra's decision, you must lodge a complaint with Telstra about that decision within 20 working days from the date when Telstra provided its written notification of the final decision.
We will provide an acknowledgement and a complaint reference number within 5 working days of receiving the complaint.
Telstra will provide a response, in writing, to the complaint within 20 working days of receiving the complaint.
If the complaint is in relation to a decision to remove a payphone, then it must relate to a decision where the removal would result in no other payphone remaining at that location.
If you are dissatisfied with Telstra's response to the complaint in relation to a final decision regarding a payphone removal proposal, you may lodge an objection with the ACMA within 10 working days from when Telstra provides its written response to that complaint.
Complaints may be made by:
Telstra Payphone Siting Manager
Locked Bag 4850, Melbourne Vic 3001
Phone during business hours:
Payphone enquiry line
1800 011 433, Option 2 (free call from fixed phones)
For information about making an enquiry or lodging a complaint in a language other than English, please visit our Multicultural services.