We provide around 15,900 public payphones throughout Australia to meet the needs of people who are out and about.
We have a universal service obligation to ensure that payphones are reasonably accessible to all people in Australia, no matter where they live or conduct business. We supply, install and maintain our payphones in Australia. We allow for public consultation on the location of payphones and try to resolve any complaints.
Payphone register and locator
To find the location of a public payphone, use our Payphone locator search tool.
Payphone enquiries & applications
Find out how to apply to have a new payphone installed, have the location of an existing payphone changed, or have an existing payphone removed.
Find out how to report a Telstra payphone that's damaged or not working. Also how to have a faulty Telstra Phonecard replaced.
Telstra Smart Payphone
Find out about our latest public payphone – the Telstra Smart Payphone – and its features.
Our Teletypewriter (TTY) payphones enable people who are deaf or have a communication impairment to stay in touch when out and about.
We will consult with the general public where we're proposing to either install a new payphone or to remove an existing payphone.
Information regarding current proposals may be accessed by opening the documents attached below. Where no documents are attached under either of the proposal types, that means there are no current proposals.
Payphone removal proposal notifications
- Outside Shopping Centre, corner of Southdown Place and 208 Spencer Road, Thornlie, WA 6108
- Outside Shops, 152 Epsom Avenue, Belmont, WA 6104
- Outside Shops, 52 Helena Street, Midland, WA 6056
- Outside 58 Stuart Highway, Mataranka, NT 0852
- Outside 54 Cavenagh Street, Darwin City, NT 0800
- Outside Shopping Centre, 5 Katherine Terrace, Katherine, NT 0850
- Outside 181 Macquarie Road near Greenway Lane, Springwood, NSW 2777
- Inside Stockland Wetherill Park Shopping Centre, 561 Polding Street, Prairiewood, NSW 2176
- Outside 193 Sheridan Street, Cairns North, QLD 4870
- Outside 2 Jensen Street, Manoora, QLD 4870
- Outside 88 Lake Street, Cairns City, QLD 4870
- Outside 145 Scarborough Street, Southport, QLD 4215
- Outside 21 Trickett Street, Surfers Paradise, QLD 4217
- Outside 58 Victoria Street, Grafton, NSW 2460
- Outside 204 Memorial Avenue, Ettalong Beach, NSW 2257
- Mundubbera Post Office 71-73 Lyons Street, Mundubbera QLD 4626
- Outside 262 Lake Street, Cairns North, QLD 4870
- Outside Lot 5 Barkly Highway, Camooweal, QLD 4828
- Outside Shops, 39 Simpson Street, Mt Isa City, QLD 4825
- Outside 1 James Street, Cairns North, QLD 4870
- Outside 2 John Street corner Cabramatta Road West, Cabramatta, NSW 2166
- Outside 80 North Terrace, opposite Featherstone Street, Bankstown, NSW 2200
- Beside Post Office, 123 Charlotte Street, Cooktown, QLD 4895
- Outside 32 Hamilton Avenue, Surfers Paradise, QLD 4217
- Outside 38 Herbert Street, Boulia, QLD 4829
- Outside 24 Front Street, Mossman, QLD 4873
Payphone relocation proposal notifications
- Outside Service Station, 110 Great Northern Highway, Wubin, WA 6612
- Outside 89 Esplanade near Aplin Street, Cairns City, QLD 4870
- Outside 71 Esplanade, Cairns City, QLD 4870
- Outside 59 Esplanade, Cairns City, QLD 4870
- 273 High Street, Maitland, NSW 2320
Payphone installations proposal notifications
Public consultation documents