We provide around 15,900 public payphones throughout Australia to meet the needs of people who are out and about.
We have a universal service obligation to ensure that payphones are reasonably accessible to all people in Australia, no matter where they live or conduct business. We supply, install and maintain our payphones in Australia. We allow for public consultation on the location of payphones and try to resolve any complaints.
We will consult with the general public where we're proposing to either install a new payphone or to remove an existing payphone.
Information regarding current proposals may be accessed by opening the documents attached below. Where no documents are attached under either of the proposal types, that means there are no current proposals.
Payphone removal proposal notifications
- Outside United Service Station, 340 Arnhem Highway, Humpty Doo, NT 0836
- Outside Shops, 47 Station Road, Logan Central, QLD 4114
- Opposite Trinity Catholic College, Park Road near the corner of Queen Street, Auburn, NSW 2144
- Outside 1 Wilcannia Way Macquarie Park NSW 2113
- Inside Grand Central Shopping Centre, Level 2, 1 Dent Street, Toowoomba City, QLD 4350
- Outside 71 Gipps Street, Collingwood, VIC 3066
Payphone relocation proposal notifications
- Outside 96 Albert Street, Brisbane, QLD 4000
- Outside 25 Dunmore Street, Wentworthville, NSW 2145
- Outside 20 Crawford Street, Berala, NSW 2141
- Outside 1 Taylor Street, Lidcombe, NSW 2141
- Outside 26 Joseph Street, Lidcombe, NSW 2141
- Outside 40 Edwin Street, Regents Park, NSW 2143
- Outside 70 Auburn Road, Auburn, NSW 2144
- Outside 41 Auburn Road, Auburn, NSW 2144
- Outside 88 South Parade, Auburn, NSW 2144
- Outside 6 Northumberland Road near corner of Rawson Street, Auburn, NSW 2144 (02964307X2)
- Outside 6 Northumberland Road near corner of Rawson Street, Auburn, NSW 2144 (02974915X2)
- Outside 1 Harrow Road, Auburn, NSW 2144
- Outside Shops, 133 Broadwater Terrace, Redland Bay, QLD 4165
- Outside 689 Old Cleveland Road East, Wellington Point, QLD 4160
- Outside 4 Bowral Street, Kensington, NSW 2033
- Outside 242 Arden Street, near corner of Carr Street, Coogee, NSW 2034
Payphone installations proposal notifications
Public consultation documents
The following process and timeframes will apply where Telstra has made a final decision about the proposed installation or removal of a payphone:
If you disagree with Telstra's decision, you must lodge a complaint with Telstra about that decision within 20 working days from the date when Telstra provided its written notification of the final decision.
We will provide an acknowledgement and a complaint reference number within 5 working days of receiving the complaint.
Telstra will provide a response, in writing, to the complaint within 20 working days of receiving the complaint.
If the complaint is in relation to a decision to remove a payphone, then it must relate to a decision where the removal would result in no other payphone remaining at that location.
If you are dissatisfied with Telstra's response to the complaint in relation to a final decision regarding a payphone removal proposal, you may lodge an objection with the ACMA within 10 working days from when Telstra provides its written response to that complaint.
Complaints may be made by:
Telstra Payphone Siting Manager
Locked Bag 4850, Melbourne Vic 3001
Phone during business hours:
Payphone enquiry line
1800 011 433, Option 2 (free call from fixed phones)
For information about making an enquiry or lodging a complaint in a language other than English, please visit our Multicultural services.