We provide around 15,900 public payphones throughout Australia to meet the needs of people who are out and about.
We have a universal service obligation to ensure that payphones are reasonably accessible to all people in Australia, no matter where they live or conduct business. We supply, install and maintain our payphones in Australia. We allow for public consultation on the location of payphones and try to resolve any complaints.
Payphone register and locator
To find the location of a public payphone, use our Payphone locator search tool.
Payphone enquiries & applications
Find out how to apply to have a new payphone installed, have the location of an existing payphone changed, or have an existing payphone removed.
Find out how to report a Telstra payphone that's damaged or not working. Also how to have a faulty Telstra Phonecard replaced.
Telstra Smart Payphone
Find out about our latest public payphone – the Telstra Smart Payphone – and its features.
Our Teletypewriter (TTY) payphones enable people who are deaf or have a communication impairment to stay in touch when out and about.
We will consult with the general public where we're proposing to either install a new payphone or to remove an existing payphone.
Information regarding current proposals may be accessed by opening the documents attached below. Where no documents are attached under either of the proposal types, that means there are no current proposals.
Payphone removal proposal notifications
- Inside 91 Spencer Street, near to bay 53 in bus terminal, Docklands VIC 3008
- Inside 91 Spencer Street, inside Passenger Lounge, Docklands VIC 3008
- Inside 91 Spencer Street, near lockers and Pizzeria, Docklands VIC 3008
- Inside 91 Spencer Street, near lockers and dry cleaners, Docklands VIC 3008
- Inside 91 Spencer Street, Near escalators to Bourke St, Docklands VIC 3008
- Inside 91 Spencer Street, bus waiting room, Docklands VIC 3008
- Inside 91 Spencer Street, Near Tickets and Information, Docklands, VIC 3008
- Outside 26 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
- Outside Service Station, 8 Queen Elizabeth Drive, Armadale, NSW 2350
- Outside Telephone Exchange, 231 Rouse Street, Tenterfield, NSW 2372
- Outside 262 Lake Street, Cairns North, QLD 4870
- Outside Lot 5 Barkly Highway, Camooweal, QLD 4828
- Outside Shops, 39 Simpson Street, Mt Isa City, QLD 4825
- Outside 1 James Street, Cairns North, QLD 4870
- Outside 2 John Street corner Cabramatta Road West, Cabramatta, NSW 2166
- Outside 80 North Terrace, opposite Featherstone Street, Bankstown, NSW 2200
- Beside Post Office, 123 Charlotte Street, Cooktown, QLD 4895
- Outside 32 Hamilton Avenue, Surfers Paradise, QLD 4217
- Outside 38 Herbert Street, Boulia, QLD 4829
- Outside 24 Front Street, Mossman, QLD 4873
- Inside Lithgow Mall, 198 Queen Street, Campbelltown, NSW 2560
- Outside 1 Regent Street near Trafalgar Street, Petersham, NSW 2049
- Outside 222 Mitchell Highway opposite Post Office Lane, Orange, NSW 2800
- Outside 44 Yartla Street, Menindee, NSW 2879
- Outside 23 Chloride Street, opposite Gawler Place, Broken Hill, NSW 2880
- Outside Yarraman Post Office, 17 Toomey Street, Yarraman QLD 4614
- Outside 13 Fry Street, Tara QLD 4421
- Near the Westpac Bank, 19 Gill Street, Charters Towers, QLD 4820
- Outside Hornsby Railway Station, 17 Station Street, Hornsby, NSW 2077
- Freedom Plaza, outside 59 John Street, Cabramatta, NSW 2166
- Outside Woden Bus Interchange, Bradley Street corner Callam Street, Phillip, ACT 2606
- Outside 1 Cathedral Street, Chillagoe, QLD 4871
- 26 Cavill Avenue, Surfers Paradise, QLD 4217
- Outside the Telstra Exchange, 122 Byrnes Street, Mareeba, QLD 4880
- Outside 182 Carp Street, Bega, NSW 2550
- Outside Railway Station, 125 North Terrace, Adelaide, SA 5000
- Outside Erindale Shopping Centre, 26 Denigan Street, Wanniassa, ACT 2903
- Outside 78 Wattle Street opposite Wattle Lane, Lyneham, ACT 2602
- Outside 148 City Walk corner E Row, Canberra, ACT 2601
- Inside Westmead Children's Hospital, Level 1, 212 Hawkesbury Road, Westmead, NSW 2145
- Outside 30 Shields Street, Cairns City, QLD 4870
- Outside 75 Lake Street, Cairns City, QLD 4870
- Outside 174 Somerville Road, Hampton Park, VIC 3976
- Outside 12 Matthew Terrace, Caboolture, QLD 4510
- Outside 200 Flinders Street, Townsville City, QLD 4810
- Outside 55 Lake Street, Cairns City, QLD 4870
- Tumbarumba Road near Coppabella Road, Carabost, NSW 2650
- Outside 108 Princess Road, Balga, WA 6061
- Outside 161 Bank Street, East Victoria Park, WA 6101
- Outside 126 Kooyong Road, Rivervale, WA 6103
- Outside 330 Spencer Road, Thornlie, WA 6108
- Central Railway Station near Ticketing, 305 Ann Street, Brisbane City, QLD 4000
- Inside Hospital, 1 Lookout Road, New Lambton Heights, NSW 2305
- Outside 23 Fitzroy Street, Tamworth, NSW 2340
- Inside Princess Alexandra Hospital, 251 Ipswich Rd, Woolloongabba QLD 4102
- Near Lot 2441 Kafcaloudes Cresent, Moulden NT 0830
- Outside 23 Andrew Street, Esperance WA 6450
- Outside 154 Utakarra Rd, Utakarra WA 6530
- Outside 144 Roslyn Road, Belmont VIC 3216
- Outside 152 Cobra Street Dubbo NSW 2830
Payphone relocation proposal notifications
Payphone installations proposal notifications
Public consultation documents
The following process and timeframes will apply where Telstra has made a final decision about the proposed installation or removal of a payphone:
If you disagree with Telstra's decision, you must lodge a complaint with Telstra about that decision within 20 working days from the date when Telstra provided its written notification of the final decision.
We will provide an acknowledgement and a complaint reference number within 5 working days of receiving the complaint.
Telstra will provide a response, in writing, to the complaint within 20 working days of receiving the complaint.
If the complaint is in relation to a decision to remove a payphone, then it must relate to a decision where the removal would result in no other payphone remaining at that location.
If you are dissatisfied with Telstra's response to the complaint in relation to a final decision regarding a payphone removal proposal, you may lodge an objection with the ACMA within 10 working days from when Telstra provides its written response to that complaint.
Complaints may be made by:
Telstra Payphone Siting Manager
Locked Bag 4850, Melbourne Vic 3001
Phone during business hours:
Payphone enquiry line
1800 011 433, Option 2 (free call from fixed phones)
For information about making an enquiry or lodging a complaint in a language other than English, please visit our Multicultural services.