We provide around 16,800 public payphones throughout Australia to meet the needs of people who are out and about.
We have a universal service obligation to ensure that payphones are reasonably accessible to all people in Australia, no matter where they live or conduct business. We supply, install and maintain our payphones in Australia. We allow for public consultation on the location of payphones and try to resolve any complaints.
We will consult with the general public where we're proposing to either install a new payphone or to remove an existing payphone.
Information regarding current proposals may be accessed by opening the documents attached below. Where no documents are attached under either of the proposal types, that means there are no current proposals.
Public consultation documents
Payphone removal proposal notifications
- Inside Rosemeadow Market Place, 177 Copperfield Drive, Rosemeadow, NSW 2560
- Inside South Molle Island Staff Bar, South Molle Island Boulevard, South Molle, QLD 4741
- Outside Midcity Centre, 200 Bourke Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
- Outside Building, 367 Collins Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
- Outside Shop, 236 Bourke Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
- Outside Shop, 253 Bourke Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
- Outside Building, 175 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
- Outside Shop, 296 Bourke Street Mall, Melbourne, VIC 3000
- Outside Building, Geelong Railway Station, 1 Railway Terrace, Geelong, VIC 3220
- Waratah Shopping Village, 91 Turton Road, Waratah, NSW 2298
- Outside Building Petrie Street near Beach Street, Frankston, VIC 3199
- Outside Shops corner of Wilmot Road and 33 Main Street, Huonville, Tasmania 7109
- The Hobart Mall, 79 Elizabeth Street near Liverpool Street, Hobart TAS 7000
- Outside Eastside Shopping Centre, 2 Prossers Forest Road, Ravenswood, TAS 7250
- Corner of 31 Holbrook Street and Dry Street, Invermay, TAS 7248
- Corner of 1 Pleasant Street and Invermay Road, Mowbray, TAS 7248
- Outside Building, 1 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
Payphone relocation proposal notifications
- Outside 619 Chapel Street, South Yarra, VIC 3141
- Outside 181 Church Street, Parramatta, NSW 2150
- Outside 179 Church Street, Parramatta, NSW 2150
Payphone installations proposal notifications
The following process and timeframes will apply where Telstra has made a final decision about the proposed installation or removal of a payphone:
If you disagree with Telstra's decision, you must lodge a complaint with Telstra about that decision within 20 working days from the date when Telstra provided its written notification of the final decision.
We will provide an acknowledgement and a complaint reference number within 5 working days of receiving the complaint.
Telstra will provide a response, in writing, to the complaint within 20 working days of receiving the complaint.
If the complaint is in relation to a decision to remove a payphone, then it must relate to a decision where the removal would result in no other payphone remaining at that location.
If you are dissatisfied with Telstra's response to the complaint in relation to a final decision regarding a payphone removal proposal, you may lodge an objection with the ACMA within 10 working days from when Telstra provides its written response to that complaint.
Complaints may be made by:
Telstra Payphone Siting Manager
Locked Bag 4850, Melbourne Vic 3001
Phone during business hours:
Payphone enquiry line
1800 011 433, Option 2 (free call from fixed phones)
For information about making an enquiry or lodging a complaint in a language other than English, please visit our Multicultural services.