Before your start: Do you have any of these devices currently connected via the old network?
These will no longer work once you’ve self-installed the nbn. If this is a concern, call us on 1800 834 273 to discuss other installation options.
If you have the White Telstra Gateway™ or Gateway Max 2™:
For self-installation instructions, check out this video below:
If you have the Black Telstra Gateway Max™:
For self-installation instructions, check out the video below:
Quick Guide for all Gateways:
- Check nbn Connection Box is active
- Check that both the ‘Power’ and ‘Optical’ lights are on and green
- If it has been more than 24 hours since your nbn installation and the nbn Connection Box is still inactive, call us on 1800 834 273.
- Connect your gateway
- If required, pull the bottom stand away from the Gateway box
- Pick up the cable with the red and yellow plugs on the ends
- Insert the red end into the red ‘WAN’ port on the Telstra Gateway™
- Insert the opposite yellow end into the port labelled ‘UNI-D’ port on the nbn Connection Box.
- Power your Gateway
- Insert the power cable into the Gateway and plug the power supply into the wall, ensuring the power point is switch on
- The power light should be on and solid green. If not turn the Gateway ON by pressing the POWER button on the side of the Gateway
- Please wait for the ‘ONLINE’ light on you Telstra Gateway™ to turn solid green. This could take up to 10 minutes.
- If you are switching your home phone to the nbn network
- Plug your existing home phone in the green port. When the ‘PHONE’ light on the Gateway turns green, you’ll be able to make and receive calls on the nbn network
- Your Gateway must be turned on to make and receive calls.
If you are not switching your home phone to the nbn network, leave it plugged into the existing wall socket.
- Connect your devices
- On you device (smartphone, tablet, laptop etc.) select the Wi-Fi name. You can find this printed on the side of the Gateway, or on your included Wi-Fi fridge magnet
- When asked, enter in the Wi-Fi Password also printed on the side of the Gateway, or on your included Wi-Fi fridge magnet.
Via an Ethernet cable
- Connection via a LAN cable can deliver slightly faster speeds. If you would like to connect via an Ethernet cable, insert the yellow ‘LAN’ plug into any yellow port on the Gateway
- Insert the other end into your devices network port.