Is it really Telstra contacting you?
At Telstra, we often call our customers to review their accounts, inform them about new products and services, or let them know if their account is overdue. Unfortunately, companies or individuals sometimes call our customers claiming to be from Telstra when they’re not. They may try to switch you to another phone company, or in some cases attempt to obtain personal information so they can access bank accounts.
What to look out for
These people may quote fake Telstra Employee (ID) Numbers or Customer Account numbers, or describe themselves as ‘Telstra technicians’. They may say there’s a fault with your computer and that you need to pay for technical support or software, or that your internet will soon be disconnected unless you give them remote access to your computer.
What you need to remember is this: that’s not our style. As a valued customer, we’ll always notify you in writing about any technical fault that requires your attention, or if there’s a scheduled service interruption in your area. Most importantly, never give an unsolicited caller remote access to your computer, and make sure it’s protected with up-to-date anti-virus and anti-spyware software.
What genuine Telstra callers will 'always' do
- If we’re calling about a new offer and you are not comfortable at any stage we will respect your wishes and terminate the call.
- We’ll only call you for marketing reasons between 9am–8pm Monday to Friday, and 10am–3pm Saturday. We may call you outside these hours if you have an unpaid account.
- If we miss you, we will wait a few hours before calling you again.
What genuine Telstra callers will 'never' do
- We’ll never phone and ask for information like your bank or credit card details unless it relates to an existing account requiring payment.
- We won’t call you repeatedly about the same offer if you’ve said no.
- We will never engage in high pressure sales tactics, create uncertainty or unnecessary dilemmas about your services or personal information.
End the conversation immediately. If you want more information, or would like to report a fraudulent call, please contact Telstra's Sales Watch Hotline 24/7 on 1800 260 270.