Hosting an event?
We've got you covered
Get better reception for your event
with our temporary mobile coverage solutions.
We spend millions of dollars providing temporary mobile coverage enhancements at over 650 public events across Australia every year.
These include major sporting, music and cultural events such as the Melbourne Grand Prix, New Year’s Eve celebrations, Splendour in the Grass, Sydney City to Surf and the Royal Easter Show.
We’re aware of how important these events are to the community, so we do everything we can to ensure event-goers have the best experience.
To determine if an event makes it into our main program, we take into account factors such as duration and number of patrons expected. Inevitably, not all events make it into the program. If you’re hosting an event we don’t already cover, we’ve got a range of commercial solutions to help:
- A temporary Cell on Wheels (CoW) at events with large crowds to boost mobile coverage
- A Telstra Wi-Fi network so everyone can stay connected
- Broadcasting video to patrons’ devices, providing a more immersive and engaging experience for attendees, while increasing attendance and commercial opportunities for event organisers
The solutions will vary depending on the event’s location and duration, and whether there is appropriate power and security for our infrastructure.
Organising an event? Contact us to discuss your requirements and find out more.
Why your event may need enhanced mobile coverage
In today’s connected world, reliable mobile phone access is expected to be available, including at events in rural areas.
Events with large crowds often have issues with call connectivity and slow data speeds due to high call volumes and data usage. Many events, such as music festivals and sporting events, attract tens of thousands of visitors and generate mobile traffic comparable to the traffic generated in a medium-sized city requiring ten or more base stations to service.
While we can increase our network capacity for variations in demand, it isn’t practical to permanently enable the massive amount of capacity required to manage spikes in call traffic generated at temporary events.
Telstra can boost mobile and Wi-Fi coverage at events with our Cell on Wheels (CoWs). These portable base stations are tethered to Telstra’s core network, allowing more mobile users to be online or on the phone at the same time.
Enable people to share experiences in real time
A more reliable network connection gives event-goers improved internet access so they can share selfies, tweet, Instagram and update Facebook during your event.
Deliver in-demand content reliably
Events with live content (for example a sporting event with live commentary, real-time statistics and replays) can put a strain on networks. Our solution delivers extra capacity to help with this.
Potential business benefit
Attract more attendees to your event and improve attendee satisfaction. Ideal for events with large crowds congregating in a small area, such as:
- Sporting events
How to get mobile coverage for your event
Set-up time requirements
To allow enough time for capacity planning, fibre extensions, setting up radio links and other requirements we need a minimum of:
- Eight weeks from a signed agreement for a first-time deployment or alteration of a previous agreement
- Four weeks from a signed agreement for a repeat deployment (to the exact same specifications as a previous deployment)
- We’ll assess the site to determine the best location for the CoW. This is usually central to the event
- We’ll need to secure the area surrounding our infrastructure (typically around 6x7 metres)
- Telstra staff and authorised contractors will need access to the site at least one week prior to and during the event
- Distance from the nearest capital city and the cost of extending fibre to the event site
- Event duration
- Network capacity requirements, based on the expected number of attendees
- Delivery timeframes
- You may be able to reduce costs by assisting with security (e.g. temporary fencing) and supplying 3-phase power to the CoW so no generator is required.
- Telstra will not be responsible for any performance degradation caused by 3rd party interference sources (such as illegal mobile repeaters or faulty TV masthead amplifiers in the vicinity of the event).
- The solution provided by Telstra will support the latest 3G and 4G technologies. It will not support legacy 2G technologies such as 2G EFTPOS Terminals.
- Mobile network infrastructure should not be relied upon as the sole means for emergency calling.