What is Telstra Iterra® IP Satellite?
Telstra Iterra® IP Satellite is an end-to-end data networking solution that provides high-speed private network access for remote locations in Australia. It enables a range of voice, video and data applications to connect to your corporate network or the internet, so your employees can collaborate, stay productive and be engaged in remote locations.
No matter whether your business and workforce operate out of remote locations, you need to be able to communicate with them reliably and effectively.
Telstra Iterra® IP Satellite can be easily scaled to suit small or large teams using bandwidth-hungry applications, to help your business in a number of ways:
- Provide reliable communications
- Access to communications and training to improve workforce safety and welfare
- Provide communications that can help you respond to new opportunities or emergencies
A better way to connect
Telstra Iterra® IP Satellite is a managed, satellite service. It provides high-speed, private network access across Australia on a temporary or permanent basis, delivered with the convenience of one touch point.
How Telstra Iterra® IP Satellite Works
Telstra Iterra® IP Satellite enables a range of voice, video and data applications to connect to your corporate network or the internet.
Features you need to support remote operations
- High-powered shaped and spot beams cover mainland Australia and specified coastal enabling greater data rates and smaller equipment footprints
Fast, streamlined connectivity
- Ethernet interface on the remote site satellite modem allows for easy connectivity to your equipment, reduces protocol conversions and improve data speeds
- Ku frequency bands, spot beams and Time Divisional Multiplexing for uplinks and downlinks
- Virtual private networks with physical and logical separation for secure communications
- Only Telstra-supplied modems are authenticated to access the Telstra Iterra® IP Satellite network
- Annual average service availability target of 99.7% based on our measurements
- Option to purchase 24/7 support
- Specialised data allowance plans which are suited for emergency back-up of terrestrial services and disaster recovery deployment plans
- Choose from fixed, transportable or maritime equipment
- Short or long-term deployments
- A range of port speeds from 64kbps to 20 Mbps
- A range of data plans for different network configurations, catering for single or multiple sites, with dedicated or shared bandwidth
- A choice of Static or Dynamic Class of Service (with six classes of QoS)
- Optional services like Quality of Service, Multicast and IP Telephony
Telstra Iterra® IP Satellite is ideal for companies with:
Remote workforces needing to connect with business and home
Sites and offices located in harsh conditions
Widespread businesses with large and critical data transfer needs
And suited to these industries:
Agriculture & Mining
For when you need reliable, high-speed communication between your headquarters and your remote sites to schedule activities, allocate resources, manage OH&S and make timely decisions around your production processes, to minimise costly delays. You can also support the well-being and safety of your remotely located staff by providing general internet connectivity so they can use their own devices for commutations and entertainment to family and friends.
Encourage innovative education at remote schools by enabling reliable, high-speed communication for the delivery of services which provide students and staff with access to online research and educational content. This service also enables teachers to stay connected to their families and can help you attract and retain quality teachers.
If you’re looking to improve and support the delivery of medical and healthcare services, or attract and retain quality professionals in remote locations, you’ll need a reliable and secure network to connect them with other medical agencies and providers. This will enable them to receive and send large scans over the network and stay connected to their families, friends and colleagues.
A customer who has multiple sites in central Australia required a highly reliable robust satellite service that could travel with exploration crews to provide wireless connectivity to the various onsite huts to the corporate network, OH&S requirements and VoIP. The service also had to be easily operated by staff who are not satellite communication specialists. Telstra Iterra® IP Satellite supplied 29 specialised trailers that contain all required services on board and simply requires the push of a button to deploy the antenna and a mast pushed up for WiFi radio. These trailers have been designed to operate in some of the world’s harshest environments and are fully self-contained.
An agricultural customer had a number of homesteads managing cattle spread out over NT and Western Queensland. They had been using basic domestic broadband services supplied by various ISP providers via satellite that were inadequate and didn’t provide easy connectivity in to the corporate network. By moving to a Telstra Iterra® IP Satellite NetPack service, all 19 remote sites share a pool of bandwidth providing higher throughputs and high reliability. The Telstra Iterra® IP Satellite service has allowed homesteads in remote locations to report stock management activities to the corporate office in a far more efficient and timely manner.
Telstra Iterra® IP Satellite pricing is flexible to meet your requirements, including:
- Bandwidth requirements – Variety of data plans to meet budget, usage and throughput requirements.
- Antenna site location – We will work with you to provide cost effective installation costs.
|Site hardware||Data plan|
|Freight||Value add options|
|Installation & commissioning|
Get a quote
Our business is flexible for yours
Flexible contract terms
We offer flexible contract terms from 1 month to multiple years
Hardware and installation can also be amortised over 2-3 years when you buy the hardware and you will still own it at the end.
Get started with our Telstra Iterra® IP Satellite services:
Telstra Iterra® IP Satellite will Project Manage, with your primary contacts and site contacts, the installation process to co-ordinate shipping, civil works, hardware installation and commissioning of the service.
Contact us using the options at the bottom of this page to have your questions answered and get started with Telstra Iterra® IP Satellite.
Get a quote
We will build a quote that’s specific to your requirements. This quote will detail the set-up and ongoing Iterra costs as well as inclusions. Get a quote now.
Once you’ve placed your order
- Project manage the delivery and installation of the site hardware.
- Commission the Telstra Iterra® IP Satellite service.
A proven record in reliable satellite communications
Fixed and mobile networks to connect you locally and internationally
The simplicity and accountability of one expert provider
Take the next step
We can help you get started with Telstra Iterra® IP Satellite or work with you to build a more holistic solution for your business needs.
Take the next step now:
- Contact your account executive
- Call us on 1800 032 576
- OR request a call-back by filling out the Get a quote form
Get a quote
Things you need to know
Contention ratio– A contended service has two methods to measure the service throughput. The Committed Information Rate (CIR) and the Peak information Rate (PIR). The CIR throughput is always available to the user. The PIR is the maximum peak level the user can obtain depending on the level of usage on the satellite network. Therefore depending on network usage across Iterra the site will have a throughput somewhere between the CIR and PIR. The lower the contention ration the higher the probability of getting to the PIR. These plans at Iterra are Emerald (4:1 contention ratio) and Ruby (8:1 Contention ratio).
NetPack Data Plans– A NetPack data plan is a pool of data allocated to the customer which is shared across a number of remote sites on the same network. This allows the customer to manage their own contention ratios and bandwidth usage across all the remote sites.
Allowance Plans – Based on a 12 month contract the customer has access to their data plan a number of weeks a year. For example a total of 3 month usage of a data plan over the 12 month period, min period per usage block is 1 week.
Dedicated Data Plans – These plans are more suited to customers to customers who require a committed data rate. Unlike contended data plans that can vary between the CIR and PIR, a dedicated data plan has a fixed data rate allocated to the remote site.
Clear Line of Site – A clear line of site from the ground antenna to the spacecraft cannot have any obstructions such as buildings, trees, towers, etc.
BUC – Block Up Converter – Transmitting device mounted to antenna
LNB – Low Noise Block Converter – Receiver mounted on the antenna
Modem – Converts the satellite signals to IP traffic
- Universal Mount – Available with 1.2m antenna option only. Allows for install on a wall or roof.
- Pole Mount – A solid pole positioned in the ground and supported by concrete.
- Non Penetrating Mount (Non Pen Mount) – A mount that sits on flat level ground and held in place with ballast such as Besser blocks.
Transportable –Allows connectivity to the Iterra-IP Satellite service via a trailer. Two options are available:
- Auto Deploy – the antenna automatically deploys and finds the satellite and the data service is automatically activated. No specific satellite experience or skills are need to deploy the antenna. These trailers are able to be customised to meet your needs.
- Manual Deploy – the antenna requires some assembly and aligned to the satellite. These trailers require staff with satellite knowledge and experience.
Satellite – Iterra-IP operates on the Thaicom 4 satellite providing coverage across Australia.