When you place an order to upgrade your phone, we will conduct an assessment of its condition. The outcome will be one of the following:
- good working order
- minor damage and/or cracked screen; or
- damaged beyond repair
How is good working order assessed?
A phone that is undamaged and in good working order is one that is fully functional as intended and is not physically damaged, except minor scratches and other normal wear and tear, as reasonably determined by us.
A good working phone:
- turns on and off;
- functions normally (for example, it is capable of making and receiving calls and connecting to the internet and any touchscreen functions as intended);
- includes a fully functioning battery;
- is free from physical damage except normal wear and tear (for example, it does not have liquid damage, a cracked or discoloured screen or casing, connector damage, or a faulty or broken SIM/SD card reader);
- does not have any missing, disassembled, customised or non-original parts;
- has all activation and device locking features disabled (eg. Find My iPhone on iOS devices);
- IMEI is not blocked.
What happens if my phone is not in good working order?
The condition of your existing phone will affect the total cost of your upgrade. If your phone has minor damage, a cracked screen or is damaged beyond repair, you’ll need to pay a higher fee depending on the damage.
How is minor damage and/or a cracked screen assessed?
- The phone has damage to the casing.
- The keys or buttons do not work.
- The screen has cracks or chips.
- The touch screen (if applicable) is cracked and/or discoloured.
How is damaged beyond repair assessed?
- The phone does not power on (even when connected to charge).
- The phone has liquid damage (pink/red water indicator has been activated).
- The phone is disassembled or has missing parts.
- The phone has been customised or has non-original parts.
If the phone is damaged, the following costs apply:
|Mobile phone condition||12-18 months||19-24 months||After 24 months|
|Phone is damaged beyond repair||$499||$399||$299|
|Phone has minor damage or a cracked screen||$229|
|With Mobile Swap Assure (regardless of damage)||$190|
Important legal rights called Consumer Guarantees
For products you buy from us, you also have legal rights known as Consumer Guarantees. This includes a guarantee that those products will be fit for purpose, safe, durable, acceptable in appearance and free from faults for a reasonable period of time having regard to factors like the type of product and its cost. Consumer guarantees apply regardless of any manufacturer’s warranty or Telstra policies and can apply even after the manufacturer’s warranty has ended.
You’re entitled to a solution if a product doesn’t meet a consumer guarantee. Where a product is faulty, the solution will depend on the type of fault and whether that fault is ‘major’. For more information about what constitutes a “major” fault, Consumer Guarantees and your return rights, please visit Faulty products – know your rights.
Still need to get in touch
Prefer to talk to someone over the phone? We're here to answer your questions.