If you have any existing devices that use the telephone wall sockets, such as a fax, medical-alert service, or EFTPOS machine, please inform us when placing your order as you will need to determine whether they are compatible with the nbn™ network.
Before you start:
Make sure your nbn Connection Box is active:
- On the nbn Connection Box, press the two clips ‘A’ to release the cover ‘B’
- Lift cover ‘B’ off at an angle to remove it
- Check that both the ‘Power’ and ‘Optical’ lights are on and green
- If it has been more than 48 hours since your nbn installation and the nbn Connection Box is still inactive give us a call on 1800 834 273.
- Connect your modem
- If you can’t see the sockets on your Telstra-supplied modem, you may need remove the bottom stand
- Insert the red end of the supplied Ethernet cable into the red ‘WAN’ port on your modem
- Insert the opposite yellow end into the ‘UNI-D’ port on your nbn Connection Box, or ‘Network Termination Device’.
- Power up your modem
- Insert the power cable into your Telstra-supplied modem and plug the power cable into a power point, ensuring the power point is switched on.
- Power up the modem by pressing the power button.
Good to know:
- Please wait for the ‘ONLINE’ or ‘INTERNET’ light on your modem to turn solid green - this could take up to 10 minutes
- Connect your devices
- On your device (smartphone, tablet, laptop etc.) select the Wi-Fi name. You can find this information printed on the bottom of your Telstra-supplied modem, or on your included Wi-Fi fridge magnet
- When asked, enter in the Wi-Fi Password also printed on the bottom of your modem, or on your included Wi-Fi fridge magnet
- For more information on connecting via Wi-Fi - follow our Connecting to a Wireless (Wi-Fi) network guide
- Connection via a LAN cable can deliver slightly faster speeds. If you would like to connect via an Ethernet cable, insert the YELLOW ‘LAN’ plug into any YELLOW port on the modem.
- Insert the other end into your devices network port
- Connect with Ethernet cables - follow our Connecting to a Wired (Ethernet) connection guide
Via an Ethernet Cable
- Connect your home phone
- Plug your existing phone into the green port on your modem.
- Your modem must be turned on, and the ‘PHONE’ light must be green, to make and receive calls over the nbn network.
- Replace the nbn Connection Box cover
- Reverse the instructions in step 1
- Your modem set up should look like this
Need more help?
Got a Telstra Gateway™ or Gateway Max 2™?
Got a Telstra Gateway Frontier® or Telstra Smart Modem™?
Still need to get in touch