An IP address is the unique identification number that every single device which connects to the internet receives. Your device's IP address is what lets it communicate on the internet.
There are two common types of IP Addresses - 'Dynamic' and 'Static'.
What's the difference between dynamic and static IP addresses?
A dynamic IP address is randomly assigned each time you connect to the internet.
A static IP address is a consistent IP address assigned to you for your use. This needs to be manually configured.
What are the advantages of a static IP address?
Static IP addresses have some real benefits. Having the same IP address every time you go on the internet means you can:
- Connect to secure networks remotely if your IP address needs to be on an approved list
- Access your file and mail services remotely
- Allow others to connect to servers that you create - such as for online gaming and file sharing
- Access security camera feeds remotely where those require a consistent IP address.
How do I get a static IP address?
You can add a static IP address to your service for $10 a month. Here's how:
- If you're an ADSL customer, order your Static IP online.
- If you're an nbn™ broadband customer, order your Static IP on 1800 834 273.
- Static IP is not available on Cable or Telstra Velocity.
Once you've ordered, you'll receive instructions on how to configure your static IP via your preferred email address. If you need more help call 13 22 00.
Rather get in touch? Let's get you connected
My Telstra app
View your services, pay your bill, troubleshoot tech issues, contact us via messaging and much more
We're here to answer your questions.
If you'd like to speak with us in your preferred language, we've got you covered.