Different content uses different amounts of data
Content like software updates and gaming apps will usually use more of your data allowance than browsing websites. Streaming movies and music from video on demand services or social media services can also use a lot of data.
Here is a rough guide to how much data you would typically use accessing different content:
|Content||Estimated data usage in 1hr|
Basic Web Browsing – Emails, Google Search, News and Weather (i.e. text-based content).
|10 – 50 MB|
|Streaming Audio Content – Spotify, iTunes, Google Play.||Low-quality: 25MB – 50MB
Medium-quality: 50MB – 100MB
High-quality: 100MB –150 MB
|Streaming Video Content – Netflix, YouTube, Foxtel Now.||
Low definition: 300MB
Standard definition: 700MB
High Definition: 3GB
|Gaming – Online, PlayStation, Xbox.||
100MB – 1GB depending on game play.
Check out your Game’s Official Help page for more information about data consumption.
How much of my data allowance have I got left?
If you don’t know your data allowance or how much of your data allowance you have left in your billing cycle, you can find out by checking your data usage meter through the below self-service tools.
How can I manage my data usage better?
- Keep an eye on your usage throughout the month by using the available self-service tools.
- Take advantage of unmetered sites – find out more
- Make sure other people can’t access your Wi-Fi or home network without your permission. find out more
- Top up your home broadband data allowance If you've exceeded your monthly allowance, to avoid your speed being slowed to 256kbps until your next billing cycle – find out more
Good to know:
- We will help you keep an eye on your data usage by sending you usage alert notifications to your preferred nominated email address.
- To estimate how much data you are likely to use for different internet activities, try our Data usage calculator tool.
- If you are consistently going over your data allowance, it’s probably time to upgrade to a plan with a larger data allowance. You can upgrade your plan once per billing cycle.
Still need to get in touch
Prefer to talk to someone over the phone? We're here to answer your questions.