How to set up your new iPhone 13
Get started with your new iPhone 13
Huge upgrades to the camera systems, lightning-fast A15 Bionic chip, a big leap in battery life and brighter Super Retina XDR displays are just some of the things you can look forward to when you unbox your brand new iPhone 13 or iPhone 13 Pro. Our easy guide will get you up and running, fast.
4 minute read
Looking to set up your new iPhone 14 instead?
We show you how to set up the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max.
What's in the iPhone box?
In the iPhone box, you'll find your iPhone and a USB-C to Lightning Cable.
In keeping with their ongoing commitment to the environment, Apple does not include earbuds or a power adapter in their iPhone packaging.
The supplied USB-C to Lightning cable supports fast charging and is compatible with USB-C power adapters and computer ports.
If you're after new power adapters or headphones, check out our range of Apple accessories.
Simple steps for setting up your iPhone 13
Quick Start makes it easy to switch from your old iOS device to your new iPhone:
1. Make sure you have a backup of your existing device.
2. Have your Apple ID and password ready.
3. Transfer your existing SIM card to the new iPhone or scan your eSIM QR code using the camera on your device.
4. Place your new iPhone next to your old device.
The Quick Start screen appears on your existing device and leads you through the process. Check Apple Support for details on using Quick Start.
Activating your iPhone
Check below to see if the new SIM card or eSIM you’ve ordered is activated and ready to go, or if you need to activate it when your delivery arrives. If you ordered a new eSIM, you can find the QR Code on the eSIM card that we sent to you.
- I’ve ordered a new service with a new number. You're already activated. Insert your new SIM card or scan your eSIM QR code, and you're good to go.
- I’ve upgraded my service but kept my existing SIM card. You're already activated. Insert your existing SIM card or scan your eSIM QR code, and you're good to go.
- I’ve upgraded my existing service and ordered a new eSIM. Activation is required. Go to activation.telstra.com and follow the prompts. Then just scan your eSIM QR code with your device and you’re good to go.
- I’m transferring my number from another provider. Activation is required. Go to activation.telstra.com and follow the prompts. When your current service stops working, just grab your device and insert your new SIM card or scan your eSIM QR code, and you’re good to go.
Need more help with your eSIM?
Once you receive your eSIM Card in the post, follow these simple steps to get started.
- Turn your compatible device on and make sure you’re connected to Wi-Fi.
- Use the camera on your device to scan the QR code in your eSIM Card. Then, follow the prompts on your screen. Or, you can do this manually in your device settings:
- Go to Settings, tap Mobile and then Add Mobile Plan
- Scan the QR code in your eSIM Card and follow the prompts on your screen
Once you’ve set up your device, you’re ready to activate your Telstra service. If your service is already active, you can start using your new eSIM.
Got a question about eSIM? Visit eSIM Help and Support
Where can I buy iPhone accessories?
Cases and chargers to AirPods and Apple Watch, there's a range of accessories that'll make the most of your new iPhone 13 experience.
You can purchase outright, or pay off selected accessories over 12 or 24 months if you have an eligible post-paid mobile service. If you leave early, simply pay out any hardware and accessories you've added.
You can also redeem your Telstra Plus points for rewards like cases, chargers, headphones, speakers and so much more.
Message us in the My Telstra app
If you have any queries about your order, please contact us via messaging in My Telstra. You can also use the app to manage your services, pay bills and more.
- On your device, open or download the My Telstra app.
- Tap the 'Get help' tab, then the blue message icon.
- Send us your question and you'll get a notification on your phone when we've replied.
When you upgrade to a new Telstra mobile plan, you will no longer have access to data sharing.
We’re now offering more data on our new month-to-month mobile plans, with no excess data charges in Australia and no lock-in contracts.
Every iPhone 13 comes with a Lightning-to-USB-C cable but you will need to supply your own USB-C power adapter.
If you have purchased your iPhone on a new mobile plan that includes 5G, you will automatically have access to the 5G network when you activate your SIM and are in a 5G coverage area. When you’re not in a 5G coverage area, you’ll automatically switch to 4GX/4G or 3G.
- Yes, 5G is compatible with Dual SIM. You can stream the highest quality content by going to Settings > Music > Cellular Data and turning on High Quality Streaming and Settings > TV > Cellular and tapping High Quality. These settings use more cellular data, and content might take longer to start playing.
- If you turn on Low Power Mode, 5G is disabled, except during video streaming. Low Power Mode also disables 5G standalone (where available).
Learn more from Apple Support.
You can replace a lost, stolen or damaged SIM card, after selecting your service in the My Telstra app. You can also request a new eSIM via messaging in the app.
To order a new SIM card on a desktop device, you’ll need to sign in to My Account with your Telstra ID. On your My Account dashboard, select your mobile service to see your ‘Plan details’. Scroll down and select ‘Request replacement SIM’.