Restart your phone
Switch your device off and on again. This can often fix your connection.
Check for an outage
Find out if there’s an outage affecting you, and get updates on when it should be fixed on our Service Status Page. If you are affected by an outage, there isn’t anything you can do until the network is back up and running.
The outage is resolved – so why can’t I connect?
If the outage is resolved but you still can’t get back on the network:
If you’re getting bad reception or dropped calls:
- Refresh your connection. If you travelled out of range then back onto the network, turn your mobile off and on again.
- Do you have full signal strength? Check the signal icon on your screen: Low signal strength can stop your phone from working effectively. Phones differ, but generally:
- 1-2 bars = low signal strength
- 3 bars = moderate signal strength
- 4-5 bars = full signal strength
- Are you in a Telstra network coverage area? Make sure with our coverage map.
- Are your surroundings causing interference? Your phone may not work if you are:
- Under a tin roof
- In a forest
- Inside a car, tram, tunnel, underground car park, shopping centre or building
- In storms or heavy rain
- In a built-up area with a large amount of people trying to connect to a single tower at once, such as a large sporting event or festival.
If you’re on a Pre-Paid service, check your balance
If you’ve got a Pre-Paid service, you need to have some data allowance or credit balance to connect. If your balance is $0.00 you’ll need to purchase a Plus Pack, or recharge.
How do I check my balance?
You can check your balance, recharge and purchase Plus Packs by:
- Using the Telstra 24x7®App
- Typing m.telstra.com in your browser
- Dialling #100# and following the prompts.
Check that mobile data is enabled on your device
- Turn your device off and after a few minutes, turn it back on. Open your browser and go to www.telstra.com.au or www.google.com to test your internet connection
- If you can’t connect, go to your settings menu and make sure ‘mobile data’ or ‘cellular data’ is turned on. Now open your browser and check again.
Check your SIM Card
If mobile data is enabled and if you’ve tried everything and you still can’t access mobile data, check your SIM:
- Remove your SIM card and reinsert it. Turn your phone on to check connection has been restored.
- Ensure SIM card tray is free from dust and dirt
- Insert your SIM card in another mobile device. Make sure that the device’s Wi-Fi is turned off, and mobile/cellular data is turned on. Now open your browser and go to www.telstra.com.au or www.google.com. If the webpage loads on the other device, the issue is probably your device.
Still nothing? It’s time to talk.
If you still aren't getting reception - but you think you should be - we need to know about it. Call our Mobile Faults Team on 13 22 03.
Need calls forwarded?
Just ask the Mobile Faults Team to divert your calls to another number while the fault is fixed. This is a free service.
Still need to get in touch