If you believe your phone is locked to our network, you may be able to unlock it by retrieving your International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) number that is used to identify your device.
To check if your phone is locked to a network or not the easiest way is to:
- Insert another SIM card into your phone from a different provider
- Allow a few minutes, then turn your phone off and back on.
If the different provider name appears in the status bar, your phone is unlocked.
If your phone is locked, you’ll get an error message saying you need to insert a valid SIM and you won’t be able to make calls, send texts or browse the Internet.
Ways to find your IMEI:
You can unlock your Telstra Pre-Paid mobile, iPhone or mobile broadband devices so they work on another network. If your service has been active for over two years, we don’t charge an unlocking fee, but if your service has been active for less than two years, we charge:
- $80 for devices that have never been activated, or active for six months or less
- $25 for devices activated for six months to two years
To unlock your Pre-Paid device, you’ll need to find your phone’s IMEI number.
There are four ways to locate the IMEI number for your Android device:
- Dial *#06#
- In the Settings menu, select About Device > Status
- Look under the battery
- Find it printed on the original box your device came in
There are three ways to locate the IMEI number for your iPhone:
- Dial *#06#
- From the Settings menu, select General > About > IMEI
- On the SIM card tray or back of the phone, depending on your phone model
Once you’ve located your phone’s IMEI number, you’ll need to contact us so we can provide instructions on how to unlock your device, and if an unlocking fee will apply.
Call 13 22 00 and say, ‘unlock device option’ when prompted. You can call Monday to Friday 9am - 8pm AEST.
Good to know: Remember to back up your phone before you unlock it or you may lose your data. It could take up to 7-10 days to unlock your phone.
Rather get in touch? Let's get you connected
My Telstra app
View your services, pay your bill, troubleshoot tech issues, contact us via messaging and much more
We're here to answer your questions.
Find your nearest Telstra store or Wi-Fi hotspot.