Follow the steps below to set-up your new Telstra Gateway™ or Telstra Gateway Frontier®/Telstra Smart Modem™ with the Telstra Cable Adaptor for Cable connections.
Before you start: Please unplug any existing modems.
- Connect your Cable Adapter
- Attach one end of the coaxial cable into the back of the Telstra Cable Adapter and the other end into your cable wall socket. Screw the connectors on firmly, but do not overtighten.
- If you have Foxtel installed on that wall socket, you’ll need to use the splitter included in your kit to connect both Foxtel and your adapter to the one wall socket
- Insert the power cable into the Cable Adaptor, plug the power supply into the wall, and turn on.
No Cable Adapter?
If you don’t have a Cable Adapter, connect the coaxial cable directly into your modem and go to Step 3.
- Connect your modem
- To access the ports, you may need to remove the bottom stand from the modem.
- Insert one red end of the Ethernet cable into the red ‘LAN’ port on the Cable Adapter, and the other end into the red ‘WAN’ port on the modem.
- Power up your modem
- Insert the power cable into the modem, and plug the power supply into a power point, and turn it on.
- Power up the modem by pressing the power button.
Good to know:
- It can take up to 10 minutes for the power button on your modem to turn solid green.
- If you are using a Cable Adapter, wait for the ‘Down Stream’, ‘Up Stream’, and ‘WAN’ lights to turn solid green. Again, this could take up to 10 minutes.
- Connect your devices
- On your device (smartphone, tablet, laptop etc.) select the Wi-Fi name. You can find this information printed on the bottom of your Telstra-supplied modem, or on your included Wi-Fi fridge magnet.
- When asked, enter in the Wi-Fi Password also printed on the side of the modem, or on your included Wi-Fi fridge magnet
- For more information on connecting via Wi-Fi - follow our Connecting to a Wireless (Wi-Fi) network guide
- Connection via a LAN cable can deliver slightly faster speeds. If you would like to connect via an Ethernet cable, insert the YELLOW ‘LAN’ plug into any YELLOW port on the modem.
- Insert the other end into your devices network port
- Connect with Ethernet cables - follow our Connecting to a Wired (Ethernet) connection guide
Via an Ethernet Cable
- Activate your modem
- To activate your modem, launch a web browser window like Chrome, Internet Explorer or Firefox, and an activation webpage should automatically appear.
- If it doesn’t open, type http://telstra.com/welcome into your browser, then enter your Telstra username and password, and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Your setup should look like this
If your set up included a Cable Adapter, it should look like the picture below.
Need more help?
Got a Telstra Gateway™ or Telstra Gateway Max 2™?
Check out the video:
Got a Telstra Gateway Frontier® or Telstra Smart Modem™?
Check out the video:
Still need to get in touch