Accessing your data
As a part of our commitment to transparency, we are increasing the amount of data you can access from Telstra.
In addition to the data that we currently hold on your account, you are now also able to access metadata we hold related to you that is also available to law enforcement agencies under a lawful request.
What data can you access?
The Telstra data you can access includes your basic customer account information (such as your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, IMEI/IMSI number and – if we have it - handset model) and other information that you can find on your Telstra bill, like who you called, and how long you spoke for. You can also access additional information, like the location of the cell tower that an outgoing call connected to when you made it.1
Because your data only relates to your use of Telstra services, it doesn’t include information like who called you or sent you an SMS.
Applying to access your data
How to apply
Only the account holder (legal lessee) can request data in this webform.
It’s good to first check through Telstra My Account and your bills to see if what you’re looking for can be found there.
Once we receive your request, we’ll acknowledge it within three business days.
The request will be recorded in your account notes.
Click on the “View sample data” button below to confirm that you are ordering the correct information.
Cost (per service)
A fee to access your data may apply which is non-refundable and a quote to process the retrieval will be sent to you within three business days of receiving your request.
If you accept the quote you will be required to make a payment via the BPAY option listed on the tax invoice/quote. After we have received the payment, we will send you a confirmation email and commence the retrieval process.
If you are suffering financial hardship, you can request that we waive the fee when we contact you about your request.
|Information request||Cost (per service)|
|Click on the “View sample data” button to confirm that you are ordering the correct information.|
|Basic Customer Information||No cost|
|Outgoing call and SMS details for mobile phones / fixed phone services:
$25 (GST incl.)2
$40 per hour (GST incl.)
|Data sessions for mobile phones / mobile devices:
only available for 6 months
|$25 (GST incl.)2|
|BigPond broadband service information
(Information more than 2 years old may not be available)
|$40 per hour (GST incl.)3|
|Detailed cell tower location for mobile phones / mobile devices
(only available from November 2013)
|$40 per hour (GST incl.)3|
|Customer interaction and account notes including faults summary||$40 per hour (GST incl.)3|
Things you need to know
- Key data retention provisions came into effect on 13 October 2015. Telstra has an approved confidential Data Retention Implementation Plan which gives Telstra until 13 April 2017 to become fully compliant with the data retention legislation. This page will be updated as more information becomes available during the implementation of our data retention compliance plans.
- Billing information for mobile phones/fixed phone services and BigPond up to 24 months prior: You can easily access this information free of charge through Telstra My Account, looking at your bills or by calling 132 200.
- Cell tower location information relates to the location of the cell tower which serves a call when first initiated (or an SMS, when sent). It is important to note that depending on the technology, coverage and surrounding terrain, the range and accuracy of cell tower location information as an indication of where a mobile device was located could be typically up to 1,000 metres in any direction from a tower in urban areas and many 10s to 100s of kms in rural areas.
- The maximum total fee payable for outgoing call and sms records (less than a year old) and data sessions is $25 (GST incl).
- A quote will be provided after the request has been assessed and you will have an opportunity to agree with the quote before we commence processing the request.