Changing nbn providers: your step-by-step guide
Changing to Telstra from another nbn provider is easy. Here’s what you need to know.
5 minute read
Thinking of changing your nbn provider?
There are a variety of reasons you may wish to change your internet service provider (ISP). It might be an enticing deal or promotion, the appeal of a new modem or faster speeds, or being dissatisfied with the service level you're currently receiving.
If you're thinking about switching to Telstra, you'll be glad to know that changing providers doesn't mean you'll experience a disruption to your connection. Your existing nbn service can stay connected until your new Telstra service is ready to commence.
When it's ready, we'll even notify your existing provider and arrange for the existing service to be cancelled.
All you need to do is choose a Telstra nbn plan, sign up online and let us know your existing account details. But let's go a little deeper, and cover some common questions and hesitations when it comes to changing ISPs.
Check your current contract
Before you start looking at other service providers, the first thing to find out is whether you're still in a contract period with your current provider.
Even if your plan has no lock-in period, you may have received a modem at no cost. Often, this is on the condition you remain with a provider for either one or two years.
If you’re unsure, it’s worth checking with your provider to see if there are any fees or charges for terminating your service with them.
Choose a plan that's right for you
Telstra offers three main plan tiers. Each plan tier dictates the typical download speeds you’ll be capable of receiving and how many people it can support using the internet at one time.
- Standard: 25Mbps typical download speeds between 7pm-11pm. Suitable for small households of 1-3 people browsing the web, video streaming in SD, emails & social media.
- Standard Plus: 50Mbps typical download speeds between 7pm-11pm. Suitable for households of 4-7 people browsing the web and social media, and one device streaming HD video.
- Premium: 100Mbps typical download speeds between 7pm-11pm. Supports 6 or more people browsing, multiple streaming in HD, serious gaming applications and concurrent file downloading.
Premium customers can also choose our Superfast and Ultrafast Add-Ons to enjoy the fastest download speeds we have to offer.
When considering a plan, it's important to note that plans available to you are dictated by the type of nbn connection you have, and this connection type does not change when you change ISPs. For example, Premium internet is only supported by Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) and some Hyrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC) connections.
You'll see that the first step of signing up to an nbn plan is entering your address. Upon doing so, you'll be shown the type of nbn connection you have, along with the Telstra nbn plans that are available at your address.
Whichever plan you sign up up to, the speeds you experience may be lower due to various factors including your in-home setup and wiring.
I'm ready to choose a plan. What do I do now?
When you know which Telstra nbn plan you'd like to select, simply sign up online and enter in your details.
You'll be asked if you have an existing nbn connection. Here, you can share details of your current nbn provider and your account number. Make sure the account is in your name and that all the details match, otherwise we may not be able to process your request.
You won't need to notify your existing nbn provider that you wish to cancel your service. When your Telstra connection is ready, we will notify them on your behalf and your old service will be cancelled.
As you already have an nbn connection, in most cases an nbn technician won't need to come to your home. We'll send you a Telstra Smart Modem, which you can expect to receive within 5 - 7 business days. We'll then notify you when your Telstra service is ready to be connected.
Note, if you're porting a landline telephone number across to Telstra as part of your nbn connection, the porting process will take longer.
Changing to Telstra is easy
Choose your nbn plan
Check you're out of contract
Sign up and we'll do the rest
Why choose Telstra for nbn
In addition to a fast and reliable connection, there are many great reasons to choose Telstra for your nbn service:
- Australia’s most popular nbn provider: We connect over 3 million homes and small businesses to the nbn network.
- No lock in contracts: Our simplified nbn and mobile plans come with no lock in periods. You can change plans or cancel your plan at any time.
- If you cancel your service within the first 24 months, you’ll just need to pay out the remaining monthly payments on your modem.
- Telstra Smart Modem: You’ll receive Telstra’s own Smart Modem for no charge. It delivers a strong, powerful Wi-Fi signal and has 4G back up – keeping you connected if the nbn network has an outage.
- Get rewarded with Telstra Plus: Our loyalty program lets you earn rewards points every time you pay your bill. Redeem points for the latest tech gear and accessories. Discover Telstra Plus
- $0 connection fee: Sign up online and you’ll pay $0 connection fee (a saving of $99).