Moving your existing Telstra home internet
Relocate your internet service in four simple moves
Step 2: Wait for confirmation
This email will include details that are relevant to the type of nbn at your new property.
If we do need to send a technician to connect the nbn, your confirmation email will include an appointment time, stating the time and date they’ll be there. We’ll also let you know if you need to be home or not.
We monitor the progress of your move right up until the moment you’re connected to make sure it all runs smoothly.
Step 3: Take your existing Telstra modem to your new home
Pop it at the top of a packing box that’s easy to access, so when you arrive at your new home, you can grab it, plug it in, turn it on and voila – instant internet! Even if your nbn is not yet connected, your Telstra Smart Modem will switch over to our mobile network, so you're never caught short.
Due for a modem upgrade? We’ve got you. We’ll express deliver a Telstra Smart Modem in around 5-7 business days.
Step 4: Leave the nbn™ equipment behind
This hardware belongs to nbn co and must stay at the property you’re leaving. It will be needed by whoever moves in next.
Your new home will have the right nbn equipment already in place, unless that address has never been connected to the nbn network before.
Do I really need a technician to connect the nbn at my new house?
It all depends on your personal situation. When you book your home internet service move, we’ll consider a bunch of different factors to determine whether you need a technician or not, such as: the type of property you’re moving into, whether you’d prefer to self-install and if you’re connecting to the nbn for the first time.
Remember: the more advance notice you can give us, the better the chances of having your internet moved on your preferred day.
1. You can choose a professional nbn installation
A professional installation is when a technician comes to your new property to connect the internet for you. It costs $240. We’ll need a minimum of 7 business days’ notice when you book your move.
2. You can DIY nbn installation
If it’s a straightforward installation, why not DIY? Just advise us when you book your move - we’ll need a minimum of 2 business days’ notice for this option.
If we’ve established that your new service does need to be installed by a technician due to other reasons, we’ll let you know.
3. We determine that you need a technician to install your nbn
Once you’ve booked your move, we’ll let you know within 48 hours if a technician needs to be there to install it. It could be for any of these reasons:
It’s been a while since your new address had an active phone line and a technician needs to check everything’s still working OK
Our service check identifies the need for a Telstra technician
Your house has recently been renovated or subdivided
Your house is being knocked down, rebuilt or is in a new development. If you’re moving to a recently-built property that’s never had a fixed internet connection, this may incur a $300 New Development Fee
You’re connecting to the nbn for the first time (from an ADSL service)
You want a new outlet or to move an existing one to a more suitable place. This costs $120 with standard installation per outlet or $192 with non-standard installation per outlet.
You’re a Priority Assistance customer
Your Telstra Plus points come too
Seeing you’re already a Telstra customer, chances are you’ll be a Telstra Plus™ member too. Don’t worry, your points will be joining your new household too.
If you’re new to Telstra Plus, it’s our loyalty program which rewards you with points when you make eligible payments on your services. The points you’ve earned can be put towards new mobile devices, tech accessories and entertainment experiences, just to name a few.
There are loads of other membership benefits to explore too.
- Telstra Plus: Must be 18+ with an active service. Points are earned on payment for services or pre-paid recharge (excluding outright purchases, refunds, credits & late payment fees). Points expire 3 years from earning. Marketing opt-in required (preferences can be changed). Excludes Telstra Enterprise and Corporate accounts.
- Service availability: Services not available to all areas or premises.
- Installation: Standard installation includes self-installation of your modem, eligibility criteria apply. Extra charges apply for non-standard installation of Telstra and NBN Co equipment and for premises in new developments.
- nbn™ New Development Charge: In areas serviced by nbn co, Telstra may be required to connect services onto the nbn network. If you’re in a new development and not already connected to the nbn network, nbn co may charge $300 to connect your premises to the nbn network. If applicable, we will bill that charge to you. Once you are connected to nbn fibre, you won’t be able to move to our copper network. Extra charges may apply for non-standard or professional install of Telstra or nbn co equipment and for premises in new developments.
- Telstra Smart Modem™: Mobile backup is available to premises in 4G coverage areas. Check coverage at telstra.com/coverage. Your mobile backup connection is capped at 25Mbps for downloads and 5Mbps for uploads. Actual speeds may be lower due to local conditions and content accessed.
- Medical security alarms, lift phones and fire indicator panels: If you have a medical alarm, lift phone or fire indicator panel, you need to register these services with nbn co by calling 1800 227 300. Medical alarms can also be registered online at nbn.com.au/medicalregister. It’s important to understand that registering these services won’t prevent them from being disconnected when moving to the nbn network. As well as registering, you must also contact your medical alarm, lift phone or fire indicator panel provider to arrange the transfer of these services to the nbn network.
- Call out fee - $95 inside business hours and $296 outside business hours
- Additional connections or outlets - $120 with standard installation per outlet
- Additional connection outlets - $192 with non-standard installation per outlet