How we hire
Your future with Telstra starts here
Finding your next career path is only a few simple steps away. Whether you are a professional or student, here is what you need to know about our hiring process and how you can best prepare.
We're committed to attracting the best talent to Telstra, and that means embracing individual differences and all abilities. If you require any adjustments or accessibility support during our recruitment process, please see below information for additional support.
Tips & Tricks for Professionals & Students
- Submit Application: Go ahead and submit that application! You won’t regret it.
- Assessment: If the role you’re applying for will see you interact with our customers, you’ll need to undergo an assessment after you submit your application. This assessment will test your customer service skills. For all other roles, we’ll let you know if an assessment is needed during the recruitment process.
- Review: Your application will then be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If you are successful, they will give you a call to find out about your motivations and if they think you’re a good fit for the role.
- Interview: The next step is to organise a behavioural interview with the recruiter and hiring manager. This is where you’ll get to showcase your skills, personality and work experience.
- Checks & Final Offer: Last step is background checks before the final offer.
Students & Grads:
- Submit Application: The first thing you’ll need to do is fill out a short online application form which will help us to determine if you’re eligible for the Program. You’ll also need to upload a copy of your resume and most recent academic transcript.
- Video Interview & Online Assessment: During this stage of the application process, we want to get to know you a little bit better. To help us do this, you’ll need to do a video interview and online assessment - the system we use is called HireVue.
- Virtual interview: At this stage of the recruitment process, you’ll be asked to participate in a virtual interview. This is a three stage process:
- Graduate ambassador Q&A session: You will have the opportunity to meet with our current graduates in a virtual setting to get to know more about life at Telstra and ask them any questions you may have.
- Case study: You will be presented with a topical issue prior to your interview and will need to prepare a three to five minute pitch.
- Behavioural interview: You'll be asked a series of motivational and behavioural questions. This will give you the chance to showcase your skills, personality, qualifications, work experience and mindset.
- Checks: Before we can offer you a place in the Telstra Graduate or Summer Internship Program, we’ll need to conduct a couple of checks such as a security or background check before we can progress you to the final stage.
- Offers: This is the final step in the process! If you have been successful, we’ll give you a ring to let you know the good news. We often see a high calibre of candidates throughout the interview process. Subsequently some candidates may just miss out on receiving a role with us. If this is the case, we will let you know and keep you in our talent pool, so if roles become available later in the year, we will be in touch.
Congratulations on being invited to an interview, it’s pretty exciting but you may be wondering how you can best prepare yourself. Whether it’s a phone interview, face to face, or video interview be sure to read up on the company and the business unit you’re applying to.
- Be sure to read about developments in the wider business area and look up any awards that your area might have won.
- Your recruiter will let you know who’s going to be interviewing you, so be sure to learn a bit about them. If you’re going to be attending a face-to-face or video interview be sure to dress to impress as this may be your first impression.
- Also, make sure you think of some questions to ask in your interview as this is a great opportunity to demonstrating your interest in coming to work with us.
Students & Grads (HireVue – Video Interview):
- Be prepared: Before you start, make sure you have all the necessary equipment like a phone, PC or laptop, a working microphone and camera. We also recommend you do the interview, assessments, and games in a quiet space, which is free from distractions. We also encourage you to make sure you have a good internet connection before you get started.
- Practice makes perfect: During the video interview, we’ll give you the opportunity to listen to the questions before you need to respond. This will give you the chance to practice before you press record.
- It’s okay if you make a mistake: Don’t worry if you feel like you need to re-record your answer because you’ll have three attempts for each question. If you like to take notes and refer to them during an interview, you are more than welcome to do this too. So, don’t be afraid to break eye contact with the camera to check them.
- Do your research: Like any good relationship, it’s important that you get to know us a bit better. So, we suggest you jump on our website to read about our T25 strategy, purpose and four core values. You should also read through the role description again for you chosen pathway and think about why you’d be perfect for our program.
- Beware of the light and surroundings: When you’re setting up your camera, make sure there’s not too much light behind you as it will make it hard for us to see your face. Before you begin, quickly check what will be in the background of your video interview just to make sure there isn’t anything in the frame that you don’t want to be there.
- Most importantly, be yourself: We value diversity and are committed to creating inclusive experiences for all our graduates, and this video interview is no different. So, we encourage you to relax, be yourself and have some fun.
If you have a specific impairment, which may be permanent, temporary or situational, our team are happy to work with you through the recruitment process (or, work with your Disability Employment Services provider if you would like us to).
From navigating our website and searching for jobs, to applying or making suitable arrangements to ensure you're interview ready, we're here to help, as we believe strongly in diversity and inclusion for all. To find out more information visit our disability & accessibility support page.
To get in touch, email us at: DisabilityandAccessibility@team.telstra.com, noting your preferred method of contact. This could be requesting communication via email, a return phone call, or for us to work with your Disability Employment Services provider.
Need to get in touch?
What will your 'why' be?
Whether it’s rewarding career opportunities, an amazing work-life balance or being able to make a difference, you can discover why Telstra is a great place to work.