We use technology to address environmental challenges and help our suppliers, customers and communities to do the same.
Harnessing innovation and technology to help address environmental challenges
As Australia’s leading telecommunications and technology company, Telstra has a role to play in helping our customers and society adapt to technological change and the opportunities it brings.
We want everyone to thrive in a digital world and our Environment Strategy is key to achieving this.
Telstra’s Environment Strategy focuses on using technology to address environmental challenges while also helping our suppliers, customers and the communities we serve to do the same.
Telstra’s previous Environment Strategy (2014) provided a foundation for responsibly managing our environment risks and opportunities. The updated strategy takes this to the next level. It goes beyond simply managing our own environmental footprint and encourages innovation in digital products and services that create environmental solutions to monitor, protect and improve the environment.
Telstra’s Environment Strategy is comprised of five strategic priorities:
- Managing Carbon Emissions – Reducing carbon emissions intensity by 50% by 2020.
- Climate Change Resilience – Ensuring climate change risks are embedded in our Networks for the Future program.
- Low-carbon Economic Growth – Enabling a low carbon economy by helping reduce our customers’ carbon emissions.
- Resource Efficiency – Reusing or recycling 60 tonnes of old mobile phones and increasing Telstra’s waste recycling rate to 42% by 2020.
- Environment Management – Achieving best practice environmental management.
Accountability for the delivery of our Environment Strategy is shared across Telstra. Progress against the Strategy is overseen by the Chief Sustainability Officer and relevant project sponsors, and is reported to the Board twice a year.
For more information please download:
- Telstra's Environment Policy (PDF, 492KB)
- Overview of the Telstra Environment Strategy (PDF, 1.85MB)
- Fact sheet (PDF, 100KB)
- Infographic (PDF, 107KB)
- Our Climate Change Position Statement (PDF, 117KB)
- Industry Association Climate Change Review (PDF, 130KB)
- Telstra’s Bigger Picture Sustainability Report