Setting up an Xbox Series X or Xbox Series S
Setting up an Xbox Series X or Xbox Series S
Super fast loading. Ultra smooth gaming. Dynamic new worlds. It's all inside waiting. Here's everything you need to know to get your brand new Xbox console set up.
November 2020 | 5 minutes read
When will I get my Xbox?
Patience, Padawan. There's been huge demand for the Xbox Series X and we're doing everything we can to get them shipped to you pronto.
We’ll send you an estimated dispatch date with your order confirmation email. Wave 1 (Series X) shipped on 9 November. Those in wave 2 don’t have too much of a wait – estimated dispatch for Series X consoles is 9 December.
Our standard shipping times are 1-5 business days nationally from dispatch, however COVID-19 impacts are causing delays on some orders.
Your order should arrive within 10 business days from dispatch (excluding public holidays) if you’re in a metro location. Regional orders may take longer. We’re doing everything we can to get your order to you quickly.
What's in the Xbox box?
- Xbox console (Series X or Series S) preloaded with Game Pass Ultimate
- Power Cord
- Xbox Wireless Controller
- High Speed HDMI 2.0 Cable (Series S) or Ultra High Speed HDMI cable 2.1 (Series X)
- Set up instructions
Check out this unboxing video for an early look at everything you’ll be getting with your new kit.
Xbox Series X unboxing and hands-on preview
Simple steps for setting up your Xbox
Ready to step up to next level gaming? Follow these steps to get connected and start playing:
- Plug the power cable into the power port on the back of your console (marked by a raised dot) and into your power supply.
- Connect the HDMI cable to your TV and plug the other end into your console’s HDMI port (marked by a raised dash). If you’re using the Xbox Series X, make sure you use the Ultra High Speed HDMI cable provided.
- Press the Xbox button to power up your console.
- Open the Xbox app on your mobile (you can download it from the Google Play or Apple App store). Select Set up a console and enter the code that appears on your TV. Follow the app prompts to set up your language, location, profile and more.
- Insert 2 AA batteries into your controller and press the Xbox button to turn it on. Press and hold the Pair button on both your console and controller to connect the two.
That's it! You're good to game. Next stop - activating Game Pass ultimate. More on that below...
Need more help getting started? Check out the Xbox support guide for troubleshooting and support.
Activating Game Pass Ultimate
Once you've got your Xbox Series S or Xbox Series X console humming, it's time to get access to all those amazing new games.
Your Games Pass Ultimate subscription is included in Xbox All Access. To activate it, just sign into your chosen Microsoft account on your new console and select the “claim it” icon.
Once redeemed, you can access and manage titles in the My Games & Apps screen.
Your Games Pass Ultimate subscription will auto-renew every month for 24 months. After that, you'll roll over to a standalone Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription at the standard market rate.
Where can I buy Xbox accessories?
From headsets to controllers, we offer a range of accessories to help you make the most of your new Xbox.
Purchase outright, or pay off selected accessories over 12 or 24 months if you have an eligible post-paid mobile service. If you leave early, simply pay out any hardware and accessories you've added.
You can also redeem your Telstra Plus points for rewards like headphones, speakers and so much more. Eligibility criteria applies.
Up your game with Game Optimiser
Put gaming traffic first on your home network and play like you've never played before. Road test the amazing Game Optimiser at no charge for the first month, then $10 per month (minimum cost).
- Prioritise gaming traffic and help curb lag spikes. Give devices or apps on your home network priority and help reduce frustrating lag.
- Control who gets the bandwidth first. Choose which devices get the most bandwidth so your console gets priority to boost performance.
- Geo filter who you play with - and on what server. Only connect to servers and players close to you. Filter based on distance or select specific regions.
Message us in the My Telstra app
Got questions about your order? Contact us via messaging in My Telstra. You can also use the app to manage your services, pay bills and more. Here's how to get in touch:
- On your device, open or download the My Telstra app.
- Tap the 'Get help' tab, then the blue message icon.
- Send us your question and you'll get a notification on your phone when we've replied.