Australians living and working in rural and regional areas are set to benefit from superior call quality with the release of Telstra’s first 4G Blue Tick certified smartphones – the Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+.
The Blue Tick means the new Samsung handsets, which are the fastest phones available on Australia’s fastest mobile network (based on national average combined 3G/4G mobile speeds), also provide the best coverage performance on Telstra’s 4GX service.
Telstra Blue Tick phones provide superior mobile coverage performance and are recommended for use by customers who live and work in rural areas. Up to now, Telstra’s Blue Tick had only been tested for calls carried over a 3G service. With the transition of voice calls to 4G technology (VoLTE) Telstra has now extended it to its 4GX service.
Andrew Volard, Telstra’s Director of Device Management, said Australia’s vast and unique geography required mobile devices that could provide the best possible experience to customers in metro areas as well as the bush.
“Before we award a device with our Blue Tick they must undergo rigorous testing in our laboratories and rural areas to ensure they deliver high quality coverage performance for our customers.
“Our mobile network is Australia’s largest and fastest and customers with a GS8 or GS8+ could experience smartphone data speeds among the fastest in the world. And because the devices have been calibrated with Australia’s unique conditions in mind, our customers who live and work in the regions will benefit from superior call quality on our 4GX service.
“The new smartphones also have integrated Wi-Fi calling, meaning voice calls will seamlessly transfer between Telstra’s 4GX service and an available Wi-Fi connection, ensuring even greater coverage.”
Richard Fink, Vice President for IT & Mobile, Samsung Electronics Australia, said Telstra and Samsung’s close relationship is built on collaboration and a commitment to deliver superior device and network performance for Australian customers.
“Samsung and Telstra maintain a very close relationship that is founded on years of collaboration to deliver incredible network and device experiences across Australia and for customers in cities and in our regions.”
“We’re incredibly proud to announce that the new GS8 and GS8+ smartphones have met the high standards required by Telstra to receive the first 4G Blue Tick certification,” said Mr Fink.
About Telstra’s Blue Tick
- Telstra’s Blue Tick signifies that a mobile device has been thoroughly tested and delivers superior voice coverage in rural and regional areas
- It was established by Telstra 10 years ago to help regional customers choose the phone that would provide them with the best coverage experience
- Devices are tested for receiver sensitivity in a laboratory under controlled conditions and in rural areas on the Telstra Mobile Network, ensuring optimal call quality for customers
- Up to now, Telstra’s Blue Tick has only been tested for calls carried over a 3G service. But with the transition of voice calls to 4G technology (VoLTE) Telstra has refreshed the testing methodology
- Samsung’s Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ are the first devices to achieve Telstra’s Blue Tick on 3G and 4GX
- Steve Carey, Steve.Carey@team.telstra.com
- Carey Withey, Carey.Withey@team.telstra.com
Media reference number: 045/2017