Telstra Air overseas
Telstra Air customers can access over 19 million Fon hotspots overseas through our partnership with international Wi-Fi provider Fon. This means you can enjoy free data in more places, more often, when you’re travelling.
Are you an iOS user in or going to France? We’re sorry! The iOS Telstra Air App has been grounded in France for now. Don’t worry, it’ll be back by early December.
How to connect
Before you leave:
Activate and connect your service in Australia (either on your laptop or using the Telstra Air App)
Connect via the Telstra Air AppConnect without the Telstra Air App (e.g. on a laptop)
Before you depart Australia
Download the Telstra Air App
1. Activate your eligible Telstra service for Telstra Air
2. Find a Telstra Air hotspot
3. Connect to Telstra Air through the Telstra Air App
4. Stay logged in to Telstra Air on your device
Note: The Telstra Air App will notify you when in you’re in range of a Fon hotspot and connect you. Connecting to Wi-Fi isn’t instantaneous and could take a minute or two.
Before you depart Australia you need to activate your service so that Fon has your Wi-Fi details. Fon is our global Wi-Fi partner and connects Telstra Air members to millions of hotspots overseas.
You can connect in two ways:
- Select your internet or home broadband service
- Select “Activate” for your eligible service
- Note down your @wifi.telstra.com username and password (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Use your @wifi.telstra.com username and password to connect to Telstra Air on your laptop overseas
2. Find your nearest Telstra Air hotspot
- Open your Wi-Fi settings on your laptop
- Select “Telstra Air” – this will launch the Telstra Air portal (or go to telstra.com.au/airconnect in your browser)
- Follow the prompts to activate your eligible service with your Telstra ID
- Connect to Telstra Air
- Log in to either the Telstra 24x7 My Account or the Telstra 24x7® App
- Select the service you have just activated
- Note down your @wifi.telstra.com username and password for that service (e.g. email@example.com)
Once you get there
Each time you enter a new country you’ll need to manually connect to a Fon Wi-Fi network. Once you’ve done this, you’ll then automatically connect to other Fon Wi-Fi networks in the same country.
Follow these simple steps
Make sure your Wi-Fi is turned on
You'll need Wi-Fi turned on to connect to our Fon partner hotspots.
Find a Fon network in your Wi-Fi network list
Select the network. It’ll usually have “Fon” in the name and “Telstra Air” should appear underneath it.
Fon partners in each country have their own Wi-Fi network names.
Using the app
Once you’re connected to a Fon hotspot, the Telstra Air App will notify you.
Without the app
If you're on a laptop, a Fon partner login page should open in your browser.
In the Fon login page enter your @wifi.telstra.com username and password (you'll find this in the Telstra 24x7 My Account Telstra Air page, e.g. is firstname.lastname@example.org)
Things you need to know
Eligible Telstra home broadband service and compatible gateway required to become a Telstra Air member.