Telstra Air overseas
Telstra Air customers can access over 19 million Fon hotspots overseas through our partnership with international Wi-Fi provider Fon. This means you can enjoy free data in more places, more often, when you’re travelling.
How to connect
Before you leave:
Activate and connect your service in Australia (either on your laptop or using the Telstra Air App)
Connect via the Telstra Air AppConnect without the Telstra Air App (e.g. on a laptop)
Before you depart Australia
Download the Telstra Air App
1. Activate your eligible Telstra service for Telstra Air
2. Find a Telstra Air hotspot
3. Connect to Telstra Air through the Telstra Air App
4. Stay logged in to Telstra Air on your device
Note: The Telstra Air App will notify you when in you’re in range of a Fon hotspot and connect you. Connecting to Wi-Fi isn’t instantaneous and could take a minute or two.
Before you depart Australia you need to activate your service so that Fon has your Wi-Fi details. Fon is our global Wi-Fi partner and connects Telstra Air members to millions of hotspots overseas.
You can connect in two ways:
- Select your internet or home broadband service
- Select “Activate” for your eligible service
- Note down your @wifi.telstra.com username and password (e.g. email@example.com)
- Use your @wifi.telstra.com username and password to connect to Telstra Air on your laptop overseas
2. Find your nearest Telstra Air hotspot
- Open your Wi-Fi settings on your laptop
- Select “Telstra Air” – this will launch the Telstra Air portal (or go to telstra.com.au/airconnect in your browser)
- Follow the prompts to activate your eligible service with your Telstra ID
- Connect to Telstra Air
- Log in to either the Telstra 24x7 My Account or the Telstra 24x7® App
- Select the service you have just activated
- Note down your @wifi.telstra.com username and password for that service (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org)
Once you get there
Each time you enter a new country you’ll need to manually connect to a Fon Wi-Fi network. Once you’ve done this, you’ll then automatically connect to other Fon Wi-Fi networks in the same country.
Follow these simple steps
Make sure your Wi-Fi is turned on
You'll need Wi-Fi turned on to connect to our Fon partner hotspots.
Find a Fon network in your Wi-Fi network list
Select the network. It’ll usually have “Fon” in the name and “Telstra Air” should appear underneath it.
Fon partners in each country have their own Wi-Fi network names.
Using the app
Once you’re connected to a Fon hotspot, the Telstra Air App will notify you.
Without the app
If you're on a laptop, a Fon partner login page should open in your browser.
In the Fon login page enter your @wifi.telstra.com username and password (you'll find this in the Telstra 24x7 My Account Telstra Air page, e.g. is email@example.com)
Things you need to know
Eligible Telstra home broadband service and compatible gateway required to become a Telstra Air member.