In this example, we’ll show you how to set up an automation so when you come home at night, a smart bulb or smart plug turns on.
- a door/window sensor, paired and mounted on your front door
- a smart light bulb, or a lamp plugged into a smart plug
- the Telstra Smart Home app.
We’ll set up this automation so that when the front door opens after sunset, the smart plug or smart light bulb turns on for 15 minutes.
- Navigate to your Automations tab, then tap the + in the top right hand corner.
- Tap Automations to change from scenes to automations.
- You want something to happen when a sensor detects something, so tap A sensor detects something.
- To choose your door sensor, tap Door sensor and then tap Next. Then select which sensor you’d like, e.g. Front door.
- Choose Open and tap Next.
- Choose what you want to happen, which in this case is Turn on light.
- Choose which light or lights you want to turn on. If your light is dimmable, select the brightness by moving the slider.
- Add any additional lights you’d like to switch on.
- At the bottom of your screen, there’s the option For a set duration. Toggle it, and then set how long you’d like the light to stay on. In our case, this is 15 minutes.
- Tap Next to view a summary of your automation.
- As we only want this to happen at night, tap On these days and times.
- Leave Everyday selected and tap Next.
- Choose From sunset and tap Next.
- Choose Until sunrise and tap Next.
- Review your automation and tap Save.
Still need to get in touch