If Alexa doesn't respond to your questions or commands after you say ‘Alexa’, here are some ways to fix the problem.
First, make sure:
- Your Amazon Echo or Echo Dot is plugged into a power point and the power is ‘on’
- The microphone isn't muted. Your Amazon Echo device will glow red when muted
- The LED dot ring on the top of your Amazon Echo device glows blue when you say ‘Alexa’.
If you've checked off all of the above steps and your Amazon Echo or Echo Dot still doesn't provide an answer, try the steps below, asking your question again after each step. If you still don't get an answer, move to the next step.
- Reboot your Amazon Echo or Echo Dot
- Disconnect the power cable from the back of your Amazon Echo device
- Reconnect the power cable and turn it on
- Wait until the light stops glowing blue
- Make sure Alexa can hear you
- Say ‘Alexa’ to your Amazon Echo or Echo Dot
- Watch the light on top of the device
- If the light turns blue, Alexa heard you
- If it doesn’t turn blue, press the dot button on top of the device
- When the light turns blue, ask your question
- Make sure Alexa understood the question
- Ask the question again
- If Alexa still doesn’t respond, say ‘Alexa, what's the weather today?’ and see if you get a response.
Where can I get advanced troubleshooting help?
Further troubleshooting information is available on Amazon's website.
Still need to get in touch