How do I unlock my Telstra Mobile?
What's in this article?
You can unlock your Telstra Pre-Paid mobile, iPhone or mobile broadband devices so they work on another network - but if you’ve had it activated on the Telstra network for less than two years, we charge:
- $80 for devices that have never activated, or active for six months or less
- $25 for devices activate for six months to two years
Good to know
After two years, we don’t charge an unlocking fee.
To unlock your Pre-Paid device, you’ll need to find your phone’s IMEI number.
There are four ways to locate the IMEI number for your Android device:
- Dial *#06#.
- In the Settings menu, select About Device > Status.
- Look under the battery.
- Find it printed on the original box your device came in.
- Dial *#06#.
- From the Settings menu, select General > About > IMEI.
- On the SIM card tray or back of the phone, depending on your phone model.
Once you’ve located your phone’s IMEI number, give us a call at the Telstra Pre-Paid Unlocking Centre:
- Dial 125 88 80 if calling from a Telstra phone.
- Dial 13 22 00 if calling from a non-Telstra phone.
- Dial +61 439 125 888 if calling from overseas (please note: international charges will apply).
The team will ask for your phone’s IMEI number, so they can provide instructions on how to unlock your device, and if an unlocking fee will apply.
Good to know
Remember to back up your phone before you unlock it or you may lose your data.
If you’re on a post-paid plan, you can use our online iPhone unlocking tool.
You can still use the tool if you’re not a Telstra customer, but it can only unlock iPhone and iPad2 devices purchased from Telstra. The unlock tool isn’t available for Pre-Paid customers.
Your unlock request will take up to 72 hours to be processed. After 72 hours, follow the Apple unlock instructions, and update your settings to the new network.
Wait - backup before you unlock.
Back up your iPhone before you unlock it or you may lose the data on it.
Good to know:
- iPhone 3, 3G, 3GS, 4 and 4S may be locked to our network. To unlock your iPhone, select the ‘iPhone unlocking’ button. You’ll need to retrieve your iPhone’s 15-digit IMEI number first using one of the methods above.
- All iPhone 5 models and above, and other iPad models on a plan, are already unlocked.
We don’t currently lock Telstra mobiles on a month-to-month plan to our network. If you’re on a month-to-month plan and believe your phone is locked to our network:
- Call 13 22 00 and say ‘unlock handset’.
- Visit your nearest Telstra store.
If you need help unlocking your phone, you can send us a message in the My Telstra app.
- Download or open the My Telstra app
- Select the Get help tab
- Tap on the blue speech bubble on the bottom right to send us a message
Still need to get in touch
Prefer to talk to someone over the phone? We're here to answer your questions.