Transferring my mobile number to Telstra – what do I need to know?
When you purchase a device or SIM Kit from Telstra, you can choose to keep your current mobile number or get a new one. If you want to keep your current mobile number, we can transfer it over to the Telstra network in a few easy steps.
When can I transfer my mobile number?
We can only transfer your mobile number within these operating hours:
- Monday-Friday – 8:00am-8:00pm (AEST/AEDST)
- Saturday, Easter Monday and the Queen’s Birthday – 10:00am-6:00pm (AEST/AEDST)
- Sunday and public holidays – you can submit your order but the transfer will start the next business day.
What information do I need to transfer my mobile service to Telstra?
To transfer your number to Telstra, we will ask you to provide details about your account with your existing provider, including:
- The mobile number you want to transfer
- What type of service you are transferring from (either a service with monthly billing, or a Pre-Paid service)
- For services which are billed, we will need your telecommunication provider’s account number (you can find this on your most recent bill, or if you’re heading to a Telstra shop, bring your most recent bill with you)
- Your date of birth (if you have a Pre-Paid service, it is important that your date of birth is the same with your current provider to avoid delays in transferring the number)
- Your name and address
- An alternative contact method (e.g. a different contact number or email address) where you can be reached during the transfer
- 100 points of ID.
Before you can transfer your service to Telstra, we will send you an SMS as part of the Pre-Port Verification process. The number that you want to transfer to Telstra needs to be active with your current telecommunication provider at the time of transfer. You will be able to use your existing service during the transfer process, and once it is complete, your old service will be automatically disconnected.
Common issues that delay transfers
If the account number or date of birth you gave us didn’t match those with your existing provider it will delay your transfer. To finish transferring to us, you’ll need to:
- Contact your current provider to confirm the date of birth or account number they have for your service
- Respond to our text message and provide the updated details.
Once that’s done, we’ll send you a confirmation that your Telstra transfer is in progress again.
Will I incur an early termination charge?
When you move your mobile number to Telstra, the provider you’re switching from will cancel your mobile service with them. Once your current provider does this, you may have to pay them an early termination charge when you transfer to Telstra.
You may also have to pay any remaining device or accessory payments you have outstanding with that provider. It’s a good idea to check with them before placing the order.
Is the process of transferring my number secure?
Yes. In line with new telecommunications regulations, we’ve updated our fraud prevention measures to help stop anyone from trying to transfer your number without your permission.
We’ve added an extra security check to our online ordering process. If you’re transferring your number to Telstra, we won’t complete the transfer until we know it’s you.
I think that my number has been fraudulently transferred to Telstra, what can I do?
If you think your mobile number has been fraudulently switched to Telstra, please contact your previous service provider and speak with them about reversing the transfer.
Still need to get in touch