Extra Data gives you more data when you need it and is applied automatically when you go over your monthly allowance.
If you exceed your monthly data allowance
- You automatically get a 1GB block of Extra Data
- You’re charged a flat $10 per 1GB block
- Any Extra Data you don’t use expires at the end of your monthly billing period
- If you use up that 1GB before the end of your billing period, we'll automatically add another 1GB of data for another $10
- You can only use Extra Data in Australia.
It replaces the excess data usage rates that in the past would’ve been charged when you went over your data allowance.
Extra Data for data sharing plans
- If you’re on a plan that supports data sharing, we add 1GB blocks of Extra Data for $10 each which will be shared by the shared data services on that account – we don’t add individual data blocks to each shared service on that account
- All the devices sharing the account can use the Extra Data blocks
- If the 1GB is used up before the end of your billing period, we'll automatically add additional 1GB of data for another $10 each
- At the end of your billing period, the Extra Data will expire and you'll return to your normal monthly data allowance.
How do I keep track of my data usage?
- We'll send you an SMS when you've used 50%, 85% and 100% of your monthly data allowance
- We’ll also send you an SMS when we add a 1GB Extra Data block
- Check anytime on the Telstra 24x7® Appor Telstra 24x7 My Account
Telstra 24x7® App
- Download or open the Telstra 24x7 App on your device
- Select the service you would like to view usage for
- To view usage the usage for a service with a shared data quote select Individual Shared Data Usage
- Services that share data will display usage against the shared data pool on the main page of the Telstra 24x7® App
Telstra 24x7 My Account
- Sign in to Telstra 24x7 My Account using your Telstra ID
- If you have more than one account, you will need to select the relevant account from the blue bar at the top of the screen
- Your current monthly usage and days remaining until your next billing cycle will be displayed in a graph next to your service
- Select Data Usage under the graph to view a detailed breakdown of your current shared data usage if your plan includes shared data.
Can I just have excess data charges?
No. Extra Data is now included with all of Telstra’s Mobile and Mobile Data Plans and replaces excess data charges.
Want data to use while overseas?
Find out more about getting a data allowance to use while overseas with an International Travel Pass.
Still need to get in touch