How can I be smarter with my mobile data?
Below are some handy tips on how to get the most out of your mobile data:
Use Wi-Fi whenever you can
- Connect to Wi-Fi when you’re watching videos, streaming music or downloading pictures as they can use lots of data. You could also connect to a Telstra Air® Wi-Fi hotspot when you’re out and about.
Turn off your mobile data
- If you’re watching videos or listening to music on your mobile, your device might choose to use mobile data even when you think it’s connected to Wi-Fi.
- To make sure it keeps using available Wi-Fi, go to your device settings and turn off mobile data. You'll still be able to send and receive text messages and calls.
- For more help turning off your mobile data/cellular data, visit Mobile Support.
You can turn mobile data/cellular data back on any time, to use the internet or check your email.
Limit sending and receiving files and ‘push notifications’
- Sending and receiving files and attachments like pictures, documents, videos or music by email can use lots of data. You can choose to change your settings to receive emails less often - for example, every hour, or even manually.
- Your device may also be set to push notifications - This means real-time email downloads, and constant checking for new emails and app updates - all of which uses even more data. You can deactivate push notifications in your device settings.
Delete email messages that won’t send
- If an email won’t leave your Outbox, your device may be continually trying to send it - and each new attempt uses more data.
- Delete any messages left in your Outbox, and either try again with a new email or try another platform like Gmail, Outlook or another email app.
Send large files when connected via Wi-Fi
- Sending large email files can use a lot of data. Instead, try sending via a Wi-Fi connection.
Limit Facebook, YouTube, Skype, gaming and browsing
- Checking social media and browsing the internet generally can also use a lot of data, particularly due to video streaming. Gaming can also contribute towards your data usage. Find out what things use the most data.
- If you have a mobile on a plan, you can increase your data allowance with a Data Pack.
- If you are a Pre-Paid customer, add a Plus Pack that meets your usage requirements.
Turn off Smart Network Switch
Smart Network Switch is a feature on some Android phones that allows your device to automatically switch between Wi-Fi and the mobile network. While this can provide a better internet experience, it can use more data.
Check if this feature is off, or switch it off, in your device settings. It may be listed as something other than Smart Network Switch, depending on your device, but is often found under Wi-Fi.
Estimate how much you need with our Data Usage Calculator.
Still need to get in touch