How can I be smarter with my mobile data?
Below are some handy tips on how to get the most out of your mobile data:
Use Wi-Fi whenever you can
- Connect to Wi-Fi when you’re watching videos, streaming music or downloading pictures as they can use lots of data. This includes connecting to a Telstra Air® Wi-Fi hotspot when you’re out and about.
Turn off your mobile data
- If you’re watching or listening on your mobile, your device might choose to use mobile data even when you think it’s connected to Wi-Fi.
- To make sure it keeps using available Wi-Fi, go to the settings menu and turn off mobile data. You'll still be able to send and receive text messages and calls.
- For more help turning off your mobile data/cellular data, visit Mobile Support.
Limit sending and receiving files and ‘push notifications’
- Sending and receiving files and attachments like pictures, documents, videos or music by email can use lots of data.
- Change your settings, so you receive emails less often; for example, select every hour. Or even choose to do it manually.
- Your devices are probably also set to push notifications - which means real-time email downloads, and constant checking for new emails and new apps. All of which uses even more data.
- Go into settings and deactivate push notifications.
Delete email messages that won’t send
- If an email won’t leave your Outbox, your device may be continually trying to send it - and each new attempt uses more data.
- Delete any messages left in your Outbox, and either try again with a new email or try another platform like Gmail, Outlook or another Mobile Email App.
Send big files when connected via Wi-Fi
- Sending large email files uses lots of data. Instead, try sending via a Wi-Fi connection.
Limit Facebook, YouTube, Skype, gaming and browsing
- Checking Facebook and browsing generally uses lots of data due to video streaming. Gaming can also contribute towards your data usage. Find out what things use the most data.
- If you have a mobile on a plan, you can increase your data allowance with a Data Pack.
- If you are a Pre-Paid customer, add a Plus Pack that meets your usage requirements.
Estimate how much you need with our Data Usage Calculator.
You can turn mobile data/cellular data back on any time, to use the internet or check your email.
Still need to get in touch
Prefer to talk to someone over the phone? We're here to answer your questions.