Here’s what to do if there’s no dial tone on your home phone that’s connected to the nbn network.
1. Check for outages
Make sure there are no phone outages in your area.
If there are no outages…
2. Try these troubleshooting steps
- Make sure all your phone handsets are properly hung up
- Make sure your phone cable is plugged into your modem or nbn Connection Box
- It should NOT be plugged into a wall phone socket unless you’re a Fixed Wireless customer with a landline connected to the copper network
- Make sure both ends of the phone cable are securely connected
- Make sure your nbn Connection Box, modem and phone all have power
- Try to call using another handset. If you can get through, the problem is likely to be with your original phone
If your cables are secure, you have power and your phone still isn’t working…
3. Restart your modem
- Turn off your modem using the ‘Power’ button
- Wait 20 Seconds then turn the modem back on
- Wait for the ‘Internet’ light to go solid green (this could take 1 – 2 minutes)
- Wait for the ‘Voice’ or ‘Phone’ light to go solid green (this could take another 1 – 2 minutes)
- Try to make a call
If you have a Fibre to the Premise (FTTP), Fixed Wireless or HFC connection and you still can’t make calls…
4. Restart your nbn Connection Box
Not sure what type of nbn connection you have?
Still not working?
If these troubleshooting steps don't work, please call us on 1800 934 273.
Still need to get in touch
Prefer to talk to someone over the phone? We're here to answer your questions.