How do I switch my home phone to the nbn network?
1. First, check whether services on the nbn network are available at your address:
2. To switch your home phone to the nbn network:
Call us on 1800 834 273 and choose Option 1. Our consultants will arrange an appointment.
Good to know:
- You may need two separate appointments to switch your service onto the nbn network– one with an nbn co technician and one with a Telstra technician. These appointments can’t be done on the same day.
Can I keep my phone number on the nbn network?
Yes, you’ll be able to keep the same number when you switch your home phone to the nbn network.
Can I keep my current home phone plan on the nbn network?
Yes, in most cases.
However, some of our older plans aren’t available on the nbn network. We can help you choose a new plan that suits you. Call 1800 834 273.
How much will it cost to switch my home phone to the nbn network?
In most cases there is no cost to switch your home phone service to the nbn network.
BUT there may be charges if:
- you use a technician to help you connect your service
- you require more than one connection point
- you need additional equipment not included in your plan
Will my home phone bill change when I switch to the nbn network?
- You’ll still receive your phone bill from Telstra.
- If you pay by direct debt, you won’t need to update any details.
- If you currently have quarterly billing it will change to monthly billing.
Will my home phone handset work on the nbn network?
Most touch-dial handsets will work on the nbn network.
However, older-style rotary-dial phones and hardwired phones won’t work on the nbn network.
How do I get a new handset?
Can I get a disability handset on the nbn network?
Yes. Telstra has special handsets for hearing, speech, or vision or mobility impairment that work on the nbn network.
For more information see our Disability Equipment Program.
Will my DECT cordless phone work on the nbn network?
Yes. Your Digital Enhanced Cordless Telephone will work with a voice service on the nbn network.
Can I get Telstra services through nbn Sky Muster Satellite?
No, we don’t offer services through nbn Sky Muster Satellite. If you get good mobile reception at your location, we may be able to help you with a mobile broadband option.
Will other equipment that uses the phone line work on the nbn network?
If you have any of the following devices, ask the manufacturer if they’ll work on the particular type of nbn technology available at your address:
- medical alarm
- emergency call button
- security alarm
- monitored fire alarm
- lift emergency phone
What if I have a medical alarm?
To minimise any disruption to your medical alarm while switching to the nbn network, we recommend you register with the nbn Medical Alarm Register.
- Click here or
- Call 1800 227 300, 9am – 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Will my MessageBank® still work on the nbn network?
- If you have a personal greeting you may need to record it again.
- If you have set a personal PIN it may revert to the last 6 digits of your phone number.
Will Home Messages 101 still work on the nbn network?
No. Home Messages 101 will automatically upgrade to MessageBank when you connect to a Telstra service on the nbn network.
To turn MessageBank on:
Pick up the phone and Press: #99*
To turn MessageBank off:
Pick up the phone and Press: #99#
To extend the ring time on MessageBank:
1. Pick up the phone and press * 99
2. Enter the number of seconds you want (from 5 to 55 seconds)
3. Press # and hang up
Will my call barring or call control still work on the nbn network?
No. The nbn network doesn’t support call control or call barring.