This article gives you step-by-step instructions to add a Telstra Mail® email account to your Outlook 2010 mail program and tells you the mail server names and numbers you’ll need.
Before you start
You'll need your Telstra Mail email address and password.
Good to know:
- You may incur data charges for setting up and using your email account.
To add your Telstra email address to Outlook 2010:
- Open Outlook 2010
- Open the ‘File’ menu then select Info
- Press the Account Settings button, then in the drop-down box select Account Settings
- In the ‘Email Accounts’ window, select the Email tab then select New
- In the ‘Auto Account Setup’ window:
- Make sure Manually configure server settings or additional server types is ticked
- Select Next
- In the ‘Internet E-Mail Settings’ window:
- For ‘Your name’ enter your name as you want it to appear in emails you send
- For ‘E-mail address’ enter your Telstra email address
- Update the server information:
- For ‘Account type’ select: IMAP
- For ‘Incoming mail server’ enter: imap.telstra.com
- For ‘Outgoing mail server (SMTP)’enter: smtp.telstra.com
- Update the log on information:
- For ‘Username’ enter your Telstra email address
- For ‘Password’ enter your Telstra email account password. OR if you're using two-step verification enter your app password
- Remember either password is case sensitive
- Make sure Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA) is NOT ticked.
- Select Test Account Settings
If your account settings are correct:
- You’ll see ticks to show the settings are correct
- You’ll get a confirmation email
Good to know:
If you don’t receive your confirmation email, check your Junk or Spam folder for the confirmation email.
If your settings are wrong:
- You’ll see a ‘Failed’ message
- This usually means you’ve mistyped your settings or password
- Return to the previous steps and check your settings
- Select More Settings then select the Outgoing Server tab
- Make sure My Outgoing Server (SMTP) requires authentication is ticked
- Make sure Use same settings as my incoming mail server is selected
- In the ‘Outgoing Server’ tab:
- Open the ‘Advanced tab’:
- Make sure This server requires encrypted connection (SSL) is ticked
- For Outgoing server (SMTP) enter: 465
- Select Next. Then select Finish.
Outlook is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
Still need to get in touch
Prefer to talk to someone over the phone? We're here to answer your questions.