The Telstra Smart Modem™ keeps you connected to the internet even when there is a fixed broadband network outage or disruption, by automatically switching to a backup mobile internet service.
Then when the issue is resolved it switches back to the fixed broadband network. You may not even know it has happened.
How does it keep me connected?
- The Telstra Smart Modem™ has an inbuilt SIM card that connects to the Telstra mobile network.
- When it detects that your ADSL, cable or nbn™ broadband is not available, it switches to the Telstra mobile network.
Is my speed the same on the mobile network?
No - the connection speed is capped at 6 Mbps for download and 1 Mbps for uploading.
Can I make phone calls with the Telstra Smart Modem™ while it’s switched to the mobile network?
No – the Telstra Smart Modem™ mobile backup service is for internet access only. You won’t be able to make calls from your home phone via the modem’s inbuilt SIM card.
Can anyone get a Telstra Smart Modem™?
- You need to take up a bundle with Telstra to receive a Telstra Smart Modem™. Standalone plans are not eligible.
- You also need to be in a 4G coverage area.
Does the Telstra Smart Modem™ tell anyone about the problem?
Yes – your Telstra Smart Modem™ alerts Telstra when it switches to the mobile network so that we can investigate any issues with your fixed broadband and repair the connection. You should also send you a notification to your preferred contact method (SMS or email), to let you know when it switches between your fixed connection and mobile backup connection.
Good to know:
- Notifications are limited to two per day, one for switching to mobile backup connection and the other for returning to fixed connectivity.
- The following will not work on the mobile backup connection:
- Telstra Air
- Telstra Broadband Protect
- T-Voice services
- Some Telstra Smart Home services depending on the speeds experienced by the customer
- Voice services on the nbn network.
If you’re still experiencing problems, please chat with us now on 24x7 chat or please call us on 1800 834 273
Still need to get in touch