Telstra Smart Modem – Helping Keep You Connected
What’s different about the Telstra Smart Modem?
The Telstra Smart Modem helps keep you connected at home when your home internet service is impacted by an outage or disruption, by automatically switching to the Telstra Mobile Network, if your home is in a 4G coverage area.
When the issue is resolved it switches back automatically. You may not even know it has happened.
How does it keep me connected?
- The Telstra Smart Modem has an in-built SIM card that connects to the Telstra Mobile Network when your home internet service is not available due to a fault or outage
- When it detects that your nbn™,ADSL, Cable or Velocity home internet service is not available, it switches to the Telstra Mobile Network if you’re in a 4G coverage area
- You won’t incur any additional charges when you switch to the Telstra Mobile Network
- If you are not in a 4G coverage area and your home internet isn’t working, why not consider using your mobile as a hotspot until your home internet is back up and running. Click here to find out more.
Is my speed the same with the 4G back-up service?
- No - the connection is capped at speeds of up to 6Mbps for download and up to 1Mbps for upload
- 6Mbps download speeds should be enough to perform most basic online activities such as video streaming, video chat, email and internet browsing. However, the services may not perform to your usual internet speed standards, depending on the speed of your home internet service. When online gaming, streaming or using video chat on the 4G back-up service, you may experience increased latency and load times.
What do the colours on the modem mean?
Telstra Smart Modem & Telstra Frontier Gateway
- If the “online” light on top of the modem is green it means your modem is connected to your normal home internet
- If the “online” light on top of the modem is magenta it means your modem is connected to the Telstra Mobile Network
Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2
- If the light at the front of the modem is green it means your modem is connected to your normal home internet
- If the light at the front of the modem is blue it means your modem is connected to the Telstra Mobile Network
For more information on which Telstra Smart Modem you are using please visit click here
Can I make phone calls with the Telstra Smart Modem while it’s switched to the 4G back-up service?
Yes – if you have a Telstra home internet plan on the nbn with a Telstra Smart Modem or a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 you will be able to make calls from your home phone when your modem is connected to the 4G back-up service on the Telstra Mobile Network.
If you have a Frontier Gateway you will be able to access the internet but won’t be able to make calls from your home phone when your modem is connected to the 4G back-up service on the Telstra Mobile Network.
How to get the most out of your smart modem on the mobile network
The positioning of the Telstra Smart Modem can determine the strength of the Wi-Fi signal that may be received. Find out more information on where to position your modem click here
Will the Telstra Smart Modem tell me about the problem?
Yes – when your Telstra Smart Modem switches to the 4G back-up service you will receive a notification (SMS or email) to let you know.
When you receive this notification please check that your modem is plugged into the wall at the home where your home internet service is provided and the power is switched on.
Still experiencing an issue?
- For information on current and upcoming outages click here
- To resolve your issue online click here
- The following will not work when the service is on the 4G mobile network:
- Telstra Air
- Telstra Broadband Protect
- Some Telstra Smart Home services depending on your internet speeds
Things you need to know
4G back-up speeds vary for reasons like location, distance from base stations, terrain, user numbers, hardware/software configuration, download source and upload destination.
nbn™, nbn co and other nbn™ logos and brands are trademarks of nbn co limited and used under licence
Still need to get in touch