Manage your data usage
In an on-the-go, mobile world it's important
to be connected. But it's also important to
keep track of your data usage.
That's why we've put together some
helpful ways to effectively manage your
data usage and stay in control.
View, track and manage data usage on your mobile device
From automatic software updates, background app refreshes, browsing the web, social networking and to streaming music and videos, keeping track of your data usage can be tricky. Our interactive manuals provide step-by-step instructions on how you can:
- View which of your device's apps are consuming the most data
- Turn off data usage for data hungry apps, or those which are no longer in use and are consuming data in the background
- View your data usage information on a month-to-month basis, to help you stay in control of your data usage costs.
For a variety of reasons, your device's data usage record and Telstra's record of your data usage may not always be the same. You can check how you’re going against your monthly data allowance with the Telstra 24x7 app or My Account.
Have another device? View a complete list of interactive manuals here
- Select your device's operating system above
- Select your device by clicking the appropriate image, or you can search for it in the toolbar
- Select 'Data & Wireless' on the toolbar
- Scroll down and select 'View data usage'
Tips on how to manage your data usage
Get more data
Whether you signed up to your plan before or from 25 June 2019 there are options for more data for you.
What's using your data allowance?
Here's a guide to get an idea of how much data on average you are using when performing basic tasks on your mobile device.
|Activity||Average data used
1000MB = 1GB
|Sending or receiving 40 emails without attachments||2MB|
|Visiting 5 different web pages||2MB|
|Browsing Facebook for 10 minutes||3MB|
|Streaming 10 minutes of audio content||10MB|
|Making a 10 minute call on Skype (standard not video)||10MB|
|Uploading 10 photos
|Streaming 10 minutes of video on YouTube (standard definition)||70MB|
Source ACCC - Managing your data
If you'd like to learn more about managing your call, SMS and MMS usage, visit our dedicated mobile usage section.