Real Support Choices: Meeting the needs of a diverse user base
Using technology to empower self-managed care under the NDIS.
Real Support choices (RSC) is a revolutionary mobile platform that simplifies care processes for self-managing NDIS participants. From booking carers to paying them, RSC includes scheduling, financial tools, timesheet and reporting capabilities. With changes to the NDIS, participants needed a better tool to simplify their care management. The tool also had to be secure to protect participant and carer data, reliable and accessible for access and management from any device, and elastic to avoid paying for resources when not in use.
- Changes in the NDIS scheme offers the opportunity to provide participants with more care under the same package, but participants needed a simple, secure and flexible tool.
- RCS also needed the capability to scale up as more participants signed on.
- The tool needed to offer great user experience and accessibility.
Telstra Purple and the RSC team worked closely together to address the challenge posed by the NDIS policy changes. The collaborative process benefited from Telstra Purple’s agile approach, which took them from designing and building the tool to ironing out issues as they pop up. RSC sought out a Disability Participant to work hands on with the project team, ensuring the end result was exactly what was required.
As part of the process we:
- Telstra Purple worked together with RSC in an agile way to develop the application in Microsoft Azure.
- The repetitive, lengthy tasks involved in manual NDIS self-management processes were replaced with a few simple clicks in the RSC app to benefit both participants and carers.
- Apart from sourcing the technology and experts to deliver the project, Telstra Purple also ensured that support is provided to the RSC team throughout their journey.
Telstra Purple delivered an application that is easy to use for end users, secure to protect confidential data, and reliable and accessible for users to access from their preferred devices. The app was also built to be elastic to avoid paying for resources when not in use, and provided the scalability RSC needed as more users signed on. “The automated processes has made it faster, more accessible, and more cost-efficient—thus empowering the participants to have more visibility and control over their care,” said Erik Hipwood, Co-Founder and Director at Real Support Choices.
Lessons learnt along the way
Through collaboration, Telstra Purple and RSC were able to deliver a digital solution that will make a difference in the lives of end users. The journey to this self-managed care model illustrates:
- The possibilities of Microsoft Azure, which enables teams to build, test, and deploy applications from secure data centres;
- How working in an agile way can address complexities in project delivery, especially with factors such as policy changes; and
- How a user-centric approach to a tech project can deliver incredible benefits to those who need it most