Melbournians now have access to one of the world’s fastest mobile services with Telstra switching on 4GX in parts of central Melbourne and surrounding suburbs today.
4GX is Telstra’s new 4G service, which is bringing extreme speeds and extra 4G coverage to a range of communities across the nation.
The world-leading technology switched on in Melbourne today pushes typical mobile download speeds up to 2 to 100Mbps for customers with compatible devices – some of the fastest commercial mobile speeds in the world.
The service is available today in parts of Melbourne’s CBD and surrounding suburbs including in St Kilda, Windsor, Albert Park, South Yarra, South Melbourne, Docklands, West Melbourne, North Melbourne, Collingwood, Fitzroy, East Melbourne, Parkville, Elsternwick, Cremorne. By January, 4GX services will cover an area spanning three kilometres of the Melbourne GPO and will be expanded across Telstra’s mobile footprint over time.
The introduction of 4GX services will mean increased capacity for the Melbourne mobile network, giving locals improved and more consistent data speeds.
The boost comes as Telstra unveiled new figures that show the extent of Melbourne’s mobile appetite. Telstra analysis has found:
• 100 terabytes of data is carried through the airspace above Melbourne every day on the Telstra mobile network. That’s roughly equivalent to Candy Crush Saga being downloaded more than 2 million times.
• Mobile data carried over the network in a typical day has increased 500-fold over five years.
• Peak time for mobile data use is between 5-6pm when Melbournians turn to their gadgets to catch up on their social networks, browse the news and watch video on the commute home.
Director of Networks at Telstra, Max Jennings said the introduction of 4GX would ensure Melbournians continue to enjoy great coverage, network reliability and consistently fast speeds as more activity, more people and more devices come onto Telstra’s network.
“Melbournians are relying on mobile connectivity more than ever. The explosion in applications, shift towards mobile video consumption and use of mobile in commerce means demand for connectivity continues to grow strongly,” Mr Jennings said.
“We’re staying ahead of this demand by introducing 4GX to boost network capacity. This will allow us to continue to offer our customers Australia’s most reliable mobile service that’s faster in more places.”
4GX sets a new benchmark in mobile internet speeds in Australia allowing people with compatible devices in 4GX areas to download, share, stream and connect faster than ever.
“Customers using devices such as the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and the Telstra Wi-Fi 4G Advanced II in 4GX areas are set to enjoy typical download speeds of 2 to 100Mbps – which means top speeds twice as fast as those available on our existing 4G,” Mr Jennings added.
4GX uses Telstra’s new 700MHz spectrum and delivers higher typical mobile speeds on compatible devices than exist on our current 4G, allowing more Australians to experience ultra-fast mobile internet. It also uses sophisticated LTE Advanced technology to bring together Telstra’s 1800MHz and 700MHz 4G spectrum bands to supercharge mobile web speeds even further on compatible devices.
The mark of high performance and reliable coverage
In 4GX areas, people with compatible devices can look forward to:
- The fastest 4G speeds in Australia – Customers with 4GX category 6 devices can enjoy typical download speeds of between 2Mbps and 100Mbps. Customers with 4GX category 4 devices can enjoy typical download speeds of between 2Mbps to 75Mbps
- Extra 4G coverage – 4GX will boost in-building coverage for 4G services bringing speedy mobile web access to more offices, bedrooms and lifts. And in regional areas, 4GX can go further than Telstra’s existing 4G frequencies creating better 4G coverage
- More 4G to share – 4GX will double Telstra’s 4G bandwidth allowing people to enjoy their favourite content with fewer slowdowns even in peak hour or in crowded places like shops or on the bus
Almost all of this summer’s most sought-after smartphones, tablets and mobile broadband devices are 4GX ready including the category 4 Samsung Galaxy 5, iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2 offering typical download speeds of between 2Mbps to 75Mbps in 4GX areas, and the category 6 Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Samsung Note Edge offering typical download speeds of between 2Mbps to 100Mbps in 4GX areas. Telstra customers can also find more about 4GX by heading to Telstra.com/4GX.
THE TELSTRA MOBILE NETWORK OFFERS 4GX IN SELECTED AREAS OF MELBOURNE, PERTH, SYDNEY, DARWIN, ADELAIDE, BRISBANE, HOBART AND SELECTED REGIONAL AREAS AND IS PROGRESSIVELY ROLLING OUT TO MORE PLACES. IN OTHER COVERAGE AREAS AROUND AUSTRALIA, YOU’LL AUTOMATICALLY SWITCH TO OUR FASTEST AVAILABLE 4G, WHICH IS OFFERED IN ALL CAPITAL CBDS AND ASSOCIATED AIRPORTS, MANY SURROUNDING SUBURBAN AREAS AND IN OVER 300 REGIONAL AREAS, OR OUR 3G. CHECK COVERAGE AT Telstra.com/coverage.
Speeds vary for reasons like location, distance from base stations, terrain, user numbers, hardware/software configuration, download source and upload destination.