With the 2012 Oscar nominations imminent, a new survey has found Australia’s movie fans are backing Stephen Spielberg’s The War Horse to beat The Help and Moneyball across the line for Best Picture.
The BigPond Movies Index1, conducted by Australia’s biggest movie downloads site, revealed nearly a third of local film fans are tipping the equine epic for an Oscar win.
Telstra’s Executive Director of Media, J-B Rousselot, said the research also showed local film fans still go ‘Looney over Clooney’ with one in four voting his performance in The Descendants as Oscar worthy, ahead of Brad Pitt in Moneyball.
“Our research suggests BigPond Movies’ all-time most downloaded movie, Bridesmaids, also is given a big Oscar chance, with star and co-writer, Kristen Wiig, tipped to take out Best Actress in a leading role.
The BigPond Movies Index also found that:
- Aussies voted Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 as their favourite movie of 2011 with Bridesmaids a close second.
- Australia’s favourite movie moment of all time - Keanu Reeves dodging bullets in Sci-Fi film, The Matrix
- Grease is the word with more than one in three Aussies admitting watching the musical classicmore than five times. A surprising 25% of men surveyed admitted having watched Grease five times.
- Women’s love of chocolate goes beyond the box and to the screen with one in five women voting “Life is like a box of chocolates” from Forest Gump as their favourite movie quote of all time. On the other hand, one in six men chose beefed up Schwarzenegger’s “I’ll be back” from The Terminator as their favorite quote.
- Puss in Boots, the spinoff to the T-Box favourite Shrek,was an Aussie favourite in 2011 with one in four Aussies voting it the Best Animated film of the year.
MOVIE DOWNLOADS ACHIEVE SUMMER HOLIDAY RECORD
Mr Rousselot also revealed that this summer BigPond Movies downloads were up by 200% compared to last summer with December 2011 seeing a growth of 56% on November 2011 downloads.
“Our BigPond Movies library reached more than 4,000 titles at the end of 2011 so we wanted to investigate what movies Aussies loved to watch and their favourite movie moments of all time,” said Mr. Rousselot.
About BigPond Movies:
BigPond Movies has an extensive catalogue of more than 4,000 new release and older movie titles. These movies can be viewed on-demand, so customers can choose what they want to watch and when.
Anyone can rent and watch BigPond movies via a PC, or if you own a Telstra T-Box or a compatible LG or Samsung device – TV, Blu-ray or Home Theatre System.
1BigPond Movies Index was conducted by Pure Profile and commissioned by Telstra. The research was undertaken from 20 to 22 December 2011 among 1,251 Australian residents over 18 years of age.