We are committed to providing you with the highest levels of customer service. This includes protecting your privacy.
Set out below is information that we are required to communicate to our customers. We recommend that you keep this information for future reference.
We provide a range of telecommunication services, either through a particular division within Telstra or through one of its related companies, eg the publisher of our directories.
Your personal information
Personal information held by us may include your name, date of birth, current and previous addresses, telephone or mobile phone number, email address, bank account or credit card details, occupation, driver's licence number and your Telstra PIN, username or password. We also hold details of your Telstra services (including their status), as well as certain details about your personal interests.
If you choose not to provide certain personal information (e.g. your date of birth), we may not be able to provide you with the services you require, or the level of service on which we pride ourselves.
Occasionally, you may need to provide personal information about other individuals to us (e.g. about your authorised representatives). If so, we rely on you to inform those individuals that you are providing their personal information to us and to advise them that we can be contacted for further information (see 'How to contact us' at the end of this brochure).
How we collect personal information
We collect personal information in a number of ways, including:
- directly from you, for example, when you provide information by phone, in application forms or other agreements, or when you submit your personal details through our websites (eg. during telstra.com registration);
- from third parties such as our related companies, credit reporting agencies or your representatives;
- from publicly available sources of information;
- from the organisations identified under 'When we disclose your personal information';
- from our own records of how you use your Telstra services;
- when you visit our websites. For more information on how our websites collect information please view Telstra's Privacy Information; or
- when legally required to do so - for example, under the Telecommunications (Service Provider - Identity Checks for Pre-paid Public Mobile Telecommunications Services) Determination 2000.
How we use your personal information
Your personal information may be used to:
- verify your identity;
- assist you to subscribe to our services;
- provide the services you require;
- administer and manage those services, including charging, billing and collecting debts;
- inform you of ways the services provided to you could be improved;
- conduct appropriate checks for credit-worthiness and for fraud;
- research and develop our services;
- gain an understanding of your information and communication needs in order for us to provide you with a better service; and
- maintain and develop our business systems and infrastructure, including testing and upgrading of these systems.
Also, your personal information is collected so that we, our related bodies and our dealers can promote and market services to you (including by way of direct mail, telemarketing, email, SMS and MMS messages). This is to keep you informed of products, services and special offers and may continue after you cease acquiring services from us. If you do not wish us, our related bodies or our dealers to contact you to promote and market products, services and special offers to you, please call 1800 039 059.
When we disclose your personal information
In order to deliver the services you require, we may disclose your personal information to organisations outside of Telstra. Your personal information is disclosed to these organisations only in relation to us providing our services to you.
These organisations carry out our:
- customer enquiries;
- mailing operations;
- billing and debt-recovery functions;
- information technology services;
- installation, maintenance and repair services;
- marketing, telemarketing and door-knocking services;
- market research; and
- website usage analysis.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that these organisations are bound by confidentiality and privacy obligations in relation to the protection of your personal information.
In addition, we may disclose your personal information to:
- your authorised representatives or your legal advisers (e.g. when requested by you to do so);
- credit-reporting and fraud-checking agencies;
- credit providers (for credit related purposes such as credit-worthiness, credit rating, credit provision and financing);
- our dealers;
- our related companies;
- our professional advisers, including our accountants, auditors and lawyers;
- other telecommunication and information service providers (for example, if you obtain services from other providers, we may need to disclose your personal information for billing purposes);
- the manager of the Integrated Public Number Database. For more information on the Integrated Public Number Database please read Telstra's Privacy Information;
- government and regulatory authorities and other organisations, as required or authorised by law; and
- organisations who manage our business and corporate strategies, including those involved in a transfer/sale of all or part of our assets or business (including accounts and trade receivables) and those involved in managing our corporate risk and funding functions (e.g. securitisation).
Help us to ensure we hold accurate information
We take all reasonable precautions to ensure that the personal information we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
However, the accuracy of that information depends to a large extent on the information you provide. That's why we recommend that you:
- let us know if there are any errors in your personal information; and
- keep us up-to-date with changes to your personal information such as your name or address. If you are a subscriber to one of our online products or services, you may change your personal details by using the relevant facility on our websites.
You can access your personal information
You have a right to access your personal information, subject to some exceptions allowed by law. If you would like to do so, please let us know. You may be required to put your request in writing for security reasons.
We reserve the right to charge a fee for searching for and providing access to your information.
How to contact us
If you have any questions in relation to privacy, please contact us on 1800 039 059 between 9.00am and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday. Please note that this number is not for general service enquiries. Alternatively, you can write to firstname.lastname@example.org
Telstra Privacy Statement March 2008
Telstra Corporation Limited ABN 33 051 775 556
C011 03-08 P616244 131530
Got a question about privacy? There's a chance someone’s already answered it on CrowdSupport®.