Making a Call using a Telstra Telecard Calling Card
- Calling from
- Calling from
- Calling within and
- Hotel surcharges
- Dial 18918 (or FREECALL 1800 051 8181) and wait for the two beeps. The voice prompts will assist you to make your call.
- Enter your eight digit Telecard number and four digit PIN followed by #.
- Enter the area code (even for local calls) and the telephone number you wish to call followed by #.
- Remember, to start an overseas call, enter the international calling code 0011 and the country code, the phone number followed immediately by #.
Alternatively, you can use the Abbreviated Dialling feature.
Note: If you are dialling from a rotary dial phone, you can't access the voice prompts. However you can still make rotary dial calls by speaking to an operator.
Things you need to know
- A free call from most fixed phones.
Automatic Australia Direct®, (i.e., making a Telecard call from overseas to Australia) is an easy and economical way to phone Australia from more than 65 countries. Automatic Australia Direct means you pay Telecard’s International Direct® metered call rates. (GST exempt for Telecard calls originating outside of Australia).
Automatic Australia Direct overcomes language and currency barriers when you are travelling.
- Refer to the list of Automatic Australia Direct / Global Reach access numbers and dial the number appropriate to the country you are in. Voice prompts will assist you to make your call.
- Enter your eight digit Telecard number and four digit PIN followed immediately by #.
- Dial 1 for a call to Australia.
- Enter the area code (eg. dial 03 for Melbourne) and the telephone number followed by #. Alternatively you can use the Abbreviated Dialling feature.
Note: If you are dialling from a rotary dial phone, you can’t access the voice prompts. However you can still make rotary dial calls by speaking to an operator.
You may not be able to make calls using your Telecard in certain countries from all public telephones or payphones due to the infrastructure in those countries. Before travelling we recommend you call Telecard Customer Service on FREECALL™ 1800 038 000 (a free call from most fixed phones) for a list of countries where Telstra is aware that access is limited.
Calling within and
Telecard® Global Reach – Third Country Calling
Telecard Global Reach – Third Country Calling allows you to use your Telstra Telecard to call within or between more than 30 countries around the world. For example, you can make calls within New York or from New York to LA or London.
Please note that the Global Reach facility is a feature provided exclusively on International Telecards.
- Refer to the list of Automatic Australia Direct / Global Reach access numbers and dial the number appropriate to the country you are in.
- The voice prompts will ask you enter:
- your eight digit Telecard number and four digit PIN followed by #
- then dial 2 to make an international call followed by the country code (if applicable), area code and phone number followed by #.
Note: When making a Global Reach call between countries, dial international countries as you would from Australia, ie. 0011 followed by the area code and phone number.
Note: Calls can be made to most countries with the following exceptions:
- calls from South Korea to North Korea are barred
- calls within Spain are barred.
Some hotels may impose a surcharge for Telecard® calls. When calling from a hotel, ask the hotel management about hotel surcharges and how to dial from your room.
Some hotel phone systems (in Australia and overseas) record your full Telecard number and PIN for presentation on your hotel phone account. If this information is printed on your account, there is a chance that your Telecard can be used without your knowledge, and you will be responsible for these unauthorised calls. (See the “Contract” section of the Telecard User Guide and Contract (PDF, 1.3MB).)
On arrival at your hotel, we recommend that you check with reception to determine the hotel’s method of call itemisation. If full itemisation is presented, you should take the matter up with the hotel management and make all Telecard calls from another phone, eg. a payphone.
Some calls cannot be made with a Telstra Telecard®. Calls that are not available include: free calls (000, 1800, etc), operator services in Australia (Wake Up calls, Call Connect, etc), Dial It services (time and weather), and Information services (1900 etc).
Some phones (especially hotels) may bar calls to the Telecard access number 18918. If this happens in Australia dial FREECALL™ 1800 051 8181 to access the Telecard voice prompts and follow the instructions in the Calling from Australia tab. When overseas, the Telecard Global Reach service provides a local access number for most countries for use if the hotel or PABX bars calls (see Automatic Australia Direct / Global Reach access numbers). Hotel call charges may apply to these calls. Please check with your hotel regarding these charges.
Things you need to know
- A free call from most fixed phones.
Australia Direct / Global Reach access numbers
|Select the country|
|Argentina||TLDA||0800 222 6100|
|Austria||DGPT||0800 200 202||1|
|Bermuda||C&W||1800 623 0711||18|
|Brazil||Embratel||0800 890 6112||2|
|Cambodia||MPT||1800 881 061||3,18|
|Canada||Teleglobe||1800 663 0683|
|Chile||Telefonica Mundo||800 800 287||3|
|China (North)||China Netcom Group||108 610||18|
|China (South)||China Telecom||1082 610||18|
|Colombia||Telecom||0 1800 961 0057||18|
|Cook Islands||TCI||09 610||18|
|Croatia||HPT||0800 220 061||18|
|Cyprus||CYTA||800 900 61||1|
|Czech Republic||CTI-STP||800 001 161||1|
|Denmark||Telecom||800 100 61|
|Fiji||Fintel||004 890 6101||18|
|Finland||Sonera Corp||0800 110 610||1|
|France||Telecom||0800 990 061||17|
|Germany||DBT||0800 0800 061||2|
|Greece||OTE||008 006 111||18|
|Guam||MCI||1888 251 5637||18|
|Guam||IT&E||1888 262 8610||18|
|Hawaii||Hawtel||1800 865 6161|
|Hong Kong||Telecom||800 96 0061|
|Hungary||Matav||06 800 06 111||6|
|India||VSNL||000 61 17||18|
|Indonesia||Indosat||001 801 61||5|
|Indonesia||Satelindo||008 801 61|
|Ireland||Telecom Ireland||1800 550 061|
|Israel||Barak||180 939 6161|
|Israel||Bezeq||180 949 4610||18|
|Italy (incl. San Marino, Vatican City)||Telecom Italia||800 172 610||2|
|Japan||KDD||005 39 611||2|
|Japan||Softbank Telecom Corp JT||0066 35 661||2|
|Japan||NT&T||0034 811 061|
|Korea (South)||Korea Telecom||00 722 610||2, 15|
|Korea (South)||Dacom||00 309 611||1, 15|
|Korea (South)||ONSE Telecom||00 369 610||2, 15|
|Lebanon||P&T||01 425 900||18|
|Malaysia||TM||1800 800 061|
|Malta||TeleMalta||800 90 610||18|
|Mauritius||Mauritius Telecom||01 610||11|
|Mexico||Telmex||01800 123 0261|
|Nauru||Nauru Telecom||1035 674||18|
|Netherlands||KPN Telecom||0800 022 0061||2|
|New Zealand||Telstra Clear||0800 931 818|
|New Zealand||Telecom NZ||000 961|
|Norfolk Island||Norfolk Telecom||1800 88 61|
|Northern Ireland||Telstra||0800 856 6161||9|
|Northern Ireland||BT||0800 890 061||9|
|Northern Ireland||CWC||0500 890 061|
|Norway||Telenor||800 199 61|
|Papua New Guinea||Telikom||00 0761 001||12,18|
|Poland||TPSA||0 0800 611 1161||7,18|
|Portugal||Marconi||800 800 610|
|Russia||Rostelecom||810 800 110 1061||18|
|Samoa (Western)||Samoatel||92 610||18|
|Singapore||Singapore Telecom||8000 610 610||18|
|Slovak Republic||Slovak Telecom||0800 006 101|
|Solomon Is.||Telekom||08 611||18|
|South Africa||Telkom SA||0800 990 061|
|Spain||Telefonica||900 990 061||16|
|Sri Lanka||Telecom||2449 499||8,18|
|Sweden||Telia||020 799 061||1,18|
|Switzerland||Swiss Com||0800 555 004||1|
|Taiwan||ITA||00 801 610 061|
|Thailand||CAT||1800 006 110||5,18|
|Turkey||Turk Telecom||0811 2880061||18|
|United Arab Emirates||Etisalat||8000 01 61||4,13,18|
|United Kingdom||BT||0800 890 061||9|
|United Kingdom||CWC||0500 890 061|
|USA||AT&T||1800 682 2878|
|USA||MCI||1800 937 6822|
|USA||Sprint||1800 676 0061|
|USA||WORLDCOM||1800 201 8455|
|Vatican City||800 172 610||2|
|Venezuela||Cantv||0800 100 1610||13,18|
|Vietnam||VTI||120 061 111||10,18|
|Zimbabwe||PTC||00 989 60||14,18|
Australia Direct Key
- Must insert cards/coins. NOT refunded at end of call.
- Must insert cards/coins. Refunded at end of call.
- Available from payphones only.
- Local access fee applies.
- Not available from public payphones.
- Wait for the second dial tone after dialling 00. Must insert cards/coins. Refunded at end of call.
- Wait for the second dial tone after dialling 0. Must insert cards/coins. NOT refunded at end of call.
- Add (11) area code when outside Colombo metropolitan area.
- Not available from all public payphones. May need to press * (star) after this number.
- Available from Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi GPOs and airports only. Local access call fee applies.
- Available from payphones, no card required. Access not available from coin phones and mobile networks.
- Also available from dedicated phones in Port Moresby, Lae and Mt Hagen airports.
- Operator calls only.
- Not available from payphones, only from phones with IDD access.
- Calls from South Korea to North Korea are barred access to the Global Reach service.
- Calls within Spain are barred access to the Global Reach service.
- Not available in Andorra, French Guiana, French Polynesia, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Monaco, New Caledonia, Reunion Is., St Pierre & Miquelon.
- Global Reach service is not available from this carrier.
Things you need to know
- Countries in bold enjoy the Global Reach facility.
- In some countries (especially in Europe) public phones require a card/coin deposit before providing dial tone. Change may not be refunded.
- You may not be able to use your Telecard in certain countries or from all public telephones, payphones and mobile phones.
- If you are experiencing difficulties connecting to an access number whilst travelling overseas, please call the local foreign operator and ask for a reverse charge call to 61 3 9632 6062. Note that if you dial 61 3 96326062 via the Telecard service, this will be charged to your account at Australia Direct® Rates. Alternatively, and before travelling, we recommend you visit our Calling Cards website or contact the Telecard Customer Service Centre on 1800 038 000 for an up to date list of countries that Telstra provides access to.
- Some hotels may bar, divert or add a surcharge to the service. Check with the hotel before using. Hotel surcharges can be avoided by using public payphones.
- Future availability of service and access numbers may be subject to change without notice.