- Business Products
- Resources & Insights
- Account Services
- Help & Support
Our Managed Switch service addresses the growing importance of LAN reliability to your business. Today, productivity trends are making LAN performance more vital for business operations, yet increasing the complexity of LAN management. The growth of unified communications applications, L2 Ethernet WAN solutions and networking complexity from IT centralisation and virtualisation are also key drivers. By adopting our Managed Switch service, you could help reduce the complications and costs associated with these trends.
We can provide a full range of LAN management and reporting services tailored to suit your requirements. We support the complete LAN network lifecycle including network assessment, planning, purchase, design, deployment, as well as 24/7 monitoring and management. With trained resources around the country, we can also support your LAN environment across Australia.
Managed Switch can:
- Improve LAN performance
- Simplify management
- Lower cost of ownership
Through tight integration with our Managed Router solution and the Telstra Next IP™ network and Next G® network, you can also gain a seamless view of your total data network, which can reduce the risks of network convergence and deploying new technologies. Our professional management can give you more time to focus on your core business.
Lower total cost of ownership
We provide advanced network management tools and systems so you can replace capital expenditure with a consistent operating cost. You can also leverage from our economies of scale and efficient management of the equipment lifecycle to help further reduce costs.
Help enhance network performance and lower risk
Managed Switch offers advanced functions and customised service levels to improve LAN performance and reliability. We also offer network configuration and dimensioning, plus design consultancy to assess the impact of introducing new business applications to minimise the risk to business continuity.
Focus on core business
We provide day-to-day operational support, both in our Operations Centre and on site, to help reduce the burden on IT staff so they can focus on activities that deliver greater value to your organisation. We can also perform all device and systems evaluations and accreditation activities. In addition, we can help you develop strategies and plans through network performance analysis and recommendations on potential network changes.
Access advanced ICT capabilities
Close integration with our Managed Data Networks solutions offer a seamless managed data platform for future business growth and productivity supporting capabilities such as Unified Communications, Security and our cloud-based Network Computing Services. This can help you to innovate more rapidly, compete more effectively and maximise the value of your network investment.
Experience the Telstra Difference
- Scale: Only we can manage a customer network environment with the scalability, reach and agility required to help you innovate rapidly, compete more effectively and maximise the value of your network investment.
- Visibility: Only we can deliver the performance and reliability of your network solutions in a low-risk, day-to-day operation.
- A platform for growth: We provide low-risk access to new and emerging capabilities like Unified Communications, security and cloud-based computing.
- Experience and capability: We offer access to network and solution expertise, extensive industry accreditations, advanced technologies from leading vendors and work to best practice methodologies.
- Commitment: We make significant ongoing investments in networks and solutions and have a clear roadmap for improvement.
- A single source of expertise: We offer wide experience, innovative services, advanced technologies and world-class infrastructure in complete and integrated solutions from one point of contact.
Things you need to know
™ and ® are trade marks and registered trade marks of Telstra Corporation Limited ABN 33 051 775 556.
Managed Switch extends the Managed Data Network solution suite into your LAN infrastructure. Managed Switch supports traditional features such as Virtual LANs, as well as features highly applicable for Unified Communications such as AutoQoS, and Power over Ethernet (PoE) for powering IP phones and wireless devices. This service can also cover your existing switching equipment if it has been accredited by us.
Management is provided by our highly qualified and certified network engineers located in the field around Australia and in our Network Operations Centres. You can choose from four management tiers and customise the service per site. Management features include:
- Monitoring, notification and restoration
- Lifecycle management
- Back-up and restoration of configurations.
We also offer once-off services including design, procurement and installation as well as the flexibility to add extra Managed Data Networks services.
Four flexible management tiers
Flexible management tiers let you customise the management level according to the individual site. You can also mix and match tiers according to site need:
- Basic Management: an alerting service. It is ideal for organisations with in-house monitoring expertise or where switches are not accredited by us for proactive or reactive management. This service tier does not cover switch maintenance and fault management.
- Reactive Management: a cost-effective solution for smaller, non-critical sites. With this tier, management is performed solely on a reactive basis - the switches are not proactively polled by us. Consequently, you must contact the Help Desk when you detect a fault. For an additional fee, you can choose to have commissioning and maintenance on either a repair or replacement basis, plus monthly written analysis reporting.
- Proactive Management: provides comprehensive management including proactive monitoring and alarming of the switch, response, diagnosis and repair. It also provides configuration file assurance through daily back-ups. This tier will suit you if you do not have in-house management expertise or have sites where business continuity is essential.
- Proactive Secure Management: delivered by Defence Signals Directorate (DSD) cleared staff from ASIO T4 compliant facilities. For an additional fee, you can choose to have commissioning, monthly written analysis reporting and various levels of network alteration management. This tier suits customers with a high security requirement such as the Federal Government.
We offer a range of additional, flexible reporting options either for selected sites or for the complete managed LAN network infrastructure. These reporting options may incur an additional fee:
- Online Reporting: Online Reporting allows you to view reports and statistics to determine network performance. You can see data in near real-time such as traffic utilisation, device metrics (CPU utilisation, memory usage etc) interface utilisation, top-end reports, trend reporting and more.
- Written Analysis Reporting: Written Analysis Reporting provides a comprehensive analysis of the health of your LAN. You can choose which network services are included and have either monthly or quarterly reports.