- Business Products
- Resources & Insights
- Account Services
- Help & Support
If you’re unable to connect to an international network, or you’re connected but can’t make calls, follow these step-by-step instructions and you may be able to solve the problem yourself.
Unable to connect to an international network
Follow these steps below:
- If you haven't activated International Roaming with Telstra, apply here
- Turn your mobile phone off and on again. This will re-establish a connection to the network.
- Check the Network Selection or Operator Selection setting on your mobile phone. Make sure your network selection is set to Automatic. (Refer to your mobile phone's user guide)
- If you’re located in a remote area, network coverage may not be available with an international carrier. You may need to wait until you move to an area with network coverage.
- Check the Band Selection or Network Mode setting on your mobile phone. Make sure your Band Selection or Network Mode is set to ALL, or as many combinations as possible. If this doesn't work, try manually selecting one of the settings (Refer to your mobile phone's user guide). When you travel to a different country or return to Australia, make sure to change this setting back to Automatic.
- If you're still having trouble, please contact us
Connected to an international network but unable to make calls
Connected to an international network but unable to receive calls
Alternatives to using International Roaming
As an alternative to International Roaming, you can swap your Telstra SIM with that of a local carrier while you're abroad.
However, if you have a Pre-Paid service, you may need to unlock your phone from the Telstra network first and (unlocking fees may apply). Please call 13 2000 and say "UNLOCK".
If you have a Pre-Paid or post-paid iPhone, you'll also need to have your phone unlocked. Please call 1800 iPHONE (1800 474 663).
If you are in Australia: please call 13 2000 or contact your Telstra Account Executive.
If you are overseas using your Telstra mobile: call +61 4 3912 5109 any time, 24 hours a day. International call rates will apply.
If you are overseas using an international fixed line: call using the appropriate international access code (also known as an international call prefix) where you are located. Please use the following dialling format: [International access code] +  + [4 3912 5109], any time, 24 hours a day. International call charges from the fixed line will be charged separately.