- Business Products
- Resources & Insights
- Account Services
- Help & Support
International Roaming helps you stay in touch when you're overseas – using your existing Telstra mobile number – and enjoy the features you're used to: voice, SMS, MMS, internet browsing and video calling.
Don’t get caught out
When you travel overseas, you want to make sure that your business expenses are kept to a minimum. Before you activate International Roaming, make sure to you take the time to understand the call charges and data rates, so you don’t ruin a good trip with bill shock when you get home.
We will automatically send you data usage alerts via SMS every time you roam overseas. This is to help keep you informed of how much data you are using whilst travelling.
These will be sent each time you use 20MB of data used overseas (except when you are roaming and using data in Hong Kong).
If you are roaming in Hong Kong, any data usage alerts you receive in other countries on the same trip, will not include any of the data you have used in Hong Kong.
It’s important to note that we rely on the overseas network carriers in the countries you are travelling in to forward to you the SMS data usage alerts and this may cause a delay in receiving the alerts. This means that you could receive alerts once you have already used more than the 20MB increment. Find out more about our new International Roaming data usage alerts and other tips on how to manage your data costs.
Activate International Roaming online
If you've used International Roaming on your service in the past, you may not need to re-apply as it remains on your service, ready for your next overseas trip, unless you have requested to remove it. Please make sure to check this if you are unsure.
If you're applying for the first time, please do so at least three days before departure.
Calls and Data
Calls - Use our pricing and compatibility tool to check whether International Roaming is available in the countries you’ll visit, and how much your calls will cost. You can also check whether your device will work on the overseas carrier's network. Be aware of the additional flagfalls and airtime charges that apply when making a call as well as the costs to receive a call.
Data - Our Pay-as-you-go rate for using data while travelling overseas is $3.00 per MB (charged per KB or part thereof). You can take advantage of our International Casual Traveller Data Packs & Frequent Traveller Data Plans which provide an included allowance that you can use to help manage your International Roaming data costs. Take the time to use our data usage calculator It will help you estimate how much data you are likely to use so you can choose a pack or plan to suit your needs.
Important tips to remember:
- Check International Roaming availability and rates by using our itinerary builder.
- Activate International Roaming before you depart.
- Sign up for one of the following International Roaming options to help you manage your voice and data costs overseas before you travel:
- While overseas:
- Switching off data roaming on your device when you don't need to use data, to limit your International Roaming data usage.
- Deactivate automatic software downloads
- Use free Wi-Fi hotspots wherever possible, and turn off mobile data while using a Wi-Fi hotspot, so that you can be certain you're connecting using the hotspot, rather than your phone’s mobile data service.
- Check your roaming and diversion settings Check all your call diversions before you go (for example, check if you're diverting calls from your work phone number to your mobile). You're charged for calls received as well as diversion to your MessageBank. Any calls you receive on your mobile overseas will be at International Roaming rates.
International Roaming Offers
Explore our International Roaming Voice Plans where we offer discounted rates on voice and text. With International Casual Traveller Data Packs and Frequent Traveller Data Plans you get an included data allowance which provides cheaper data rates in comparison to our Pay-as-you-go data usage rate, in a number of countries.
These will help you manage your spend while you're overseas, so we strongly encourage you to consider taking a voice or data pack or plan before you travel.
What do I need to do?
To stay in touch while you’re overseas, there are a few things you need to do before you leave and the moment you arrive to prepare and activate your International Roaming service.
Having problems connecting to an international network? Perhaps you’re connected but can’t make calls? A quick visit to our troubleshooting section may help you solve the problem quickly and easily.