- Business Products
- Resources & Insights
- Account Services
- Help & Support
Specifically designed for data traffic, Ethernet Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) is a low-cost Wide Area Network (WAN) solution that reliably interconnects multiple sites so information can be shared. This solution uses an Ethernet interface to provide national ATM access, instead of the standard ATM interface.
Fast, reliable and dedicated, Ethernet ATM is specifically designed for data traffic. As a wide area network (WAN) product it interconnects your multiple business sites. An alternative to a standard ATM service, this product provides your organisation with a low-cost Ethernet interface to your ATM high-speed data service, using a network terminating unit (NTU) at your organisation’s premises.
Ethernet ATM can provide your business with:
- Reduced equipment costs -Transmit data traffic via ATM using a simple Ethernet interface
- Reliable data transfer - Based on reliable and proven ATM infrastructure
- Routing control over data traffic - Using Layer 2 networking between pairs of sites.
Cost-effective ATM access
Ethernet ATM enables businesses to make use of our reliable ATM network to transmit volumes of data traffic via a simple Ethernet interface. There’s no need to terminate the ATM service directly on more expensive ATM hardware.
Access all areas
Ethernet ATM works with standard ATM services and with Business DSL services, helping you to enable a mix of access types within a single customer network. Existing ATM customers can opt to use Ethernet ATM to connect new sites to their existing network. The product can also be used as a head-end for a network with multiple Business DSL ‘tail’ sites.
Greater priority for your business
You can be assured that priority will be given to latency and time-sensitive applications. This high-speed data product provides different classes of service (CoS) to suit different traffic types such as voice, video and data.
A network you can trust
Ethernet ATM uses Telstra’s robust and reliable ATM network. It’s the leading ATM service in Australia, providing businesses with cheaper access to a proven network. And because we‘ve been operating commercial ATM services since 1997, we have the experience you can depend on.
Reliably transfer your data via ATM
Ethernet ATM is used for metro, intra-state and inter-capital wide area networking between two or more sites to carry quantities of voice, data and/or video traffic and bandwidth speeds ranging from 10Mbits to 100Mbits.
- Ethernet ATM network terminating unit (NTU) - placed at the customer’s premises
- Easy to upgrade - access bandwidth speeds of 10Mbits, 20Mbits, 50Mbits or 100Mbits (10/100baseT Ethernet customer interface) interworking with Business DSL - use as head-end access for the main data centre with Business DSL tails for smaller sites
- Interworking with ATM - interwork Ethernet ATM sites with existing Telstra ATM sites without requiring customer premise equipment (CPE) swap-out at existing sites
- Range of permanent virtual circuit (PVC) speeds - tailor bandwidths between each pair of sites, to individually suit data requirements
- Available nationally - inter-state and intra-state
- Layer 2 networking - support protocols other than IP to retain control over the routing of data traffic
- Available bandwidth - access bandwidths up to the peak information rate (PIR) for each PVC when needed.
Optional features include:
- Dual access - optional protection against failures in the access network or port
- Back-up PVCs - provided to alternative sites for disaster recovery configurations
- Virtual local area network (VLAN) to PVC mapping - separate traffic between PVCs (and sites) based on VLAN tags for an even higher level of control over data traffic
- Managed wide area network (MWAN) - Telstra can manage the entire network, allowing you to focus on your core business