In making a decision as to whether a request for a Telstra operated payphone is justified, we will have regard to the following factors:
- whether the request meets the criteria for Telstra to fulfil its universal service obligation, or can be commercially justified
- the need to obtain necessary approvals from third parties including local councils, property owners, and others in the local neighbourhood which may involve door knocking and one to one consultation
- access of the proposed site to continuous commercial 240 volt mains power
- environmental considerations
- the safety of Telstra staff, customers and the general public.
We will make all reasonable efforts to provide and maintain a payphone on an equitable basis considering financial and geographical implications. We will apply an assessment framework, on a case by case basis, to determine if the provision of a Telstra operated payphone can be justified. However, we will not provide a service where it is impracticable to do so.
|Location||Telstra will provide a payphone if it is assessed that projected revenues is less than the costs* and; there is no payphone||Telstra will provide a payphone if it is assessed that projected revenues will cover costs* and; there is no payphone||Telstra will provide one or more payphones if site is considered commercially viable|
|Retail centres||No||within approx 1km||Yes|
|Entertainment venues||No||within approx 1km||Yes|
|Transport terminal or hub||No||within approx 1km||Yes|
|Health and community facilities||No||within approx 1km||Yes|
|Residential communities (incl. caravan parks & holiday units) in cities & towns with low home phone connection||within approx 1km||within approx 1km||Yes|
|Residential communities in cities and towns with average or high level of home telephone connection||No||within approx 2km||Yes|
|Industrial or commercial areas||No||within approx 2km||Yes|
|Small villages and towns (incl. holiday areas)||within approx 40km||within approx 40km||Yes|
|Small service centres on highways and major roads in rural areas||250km where there is adequate mobile coverage||within 100km||Yes|
|Small remote communities, incl. Aboriginal outstations||Yes, if as a general rule more than 20 adult permanent residents||Yes, if as a general rule more than 20 adult permanent residents||Yes|
Exception – where it is impracticable to do so:
- Private payphone available at call charges which are reasonable in the circumstances.
- Payphone subject, or likely to be subject, to excess levels of damage.
- High installation costs
- Health and safety risk to general public or to Telstra staff.
* costs are depreciation and maintenance costs of providing and maintaining the payphone facility